Lead shot ban for dove hunting

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by lanthanide, Dec 11, 2014.

1. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

When you compare the price of steel target and lead target loads, the price difference is minimal. I do not live in a great dove hunting state, but when I do hunt doves, I have been using steel for the last decade.

No, I am not an enviromentalist. To shoot steel really well for waterfowl, I find it is best to shoot steel all the time.

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Not sure if i agree with that, shoot trap, sporting, and upland all with lead, and shoot waterfowl just fine.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I completely disagree.

I find to improve your shooting, it is all about volume and experience. Possibly the leads are a bit different between lead and steel, but being able to shoot low recoiling affordable loads that break targets is great to improve technique and confidence.

I have shot a few dove, and a number of pigeons with steel… Pass shooting longer shots, steels falls really short of lead with smaller pellets to maintain the pattern density for smaller birds (as those smaller steel pellets bleed off energy very fast). The inequality between lead and steel really becomes evident with pigeons (which to me are the toughest birds for their size).

Valley quail are another bird I am really not happy about shooting steel with. For close shots, steel tears them apart (i.e. 15-20 yards), and for further shots (i.e. 30-35 yards), steel knocks birds down but does not kill them. Crippled valley quail are a tough recovery due to the terrain we are hunting them in. I understand I need a bit more experience shooting steel at these birds, but as of yet, I have not found an affordable happy medium for non-toxic shot and quail hunting.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

You might try #5 steel for your quail hunts. That is what I use on morning doves.