Lead shot ban for dove hunting

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by lanthanide, Dec 11, 2014.

1. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The USFWS is charged with managing for the health of any endangered species, which includes it's habitat, food source, etc.

When ducks are poisoned with lead shot, they become an easy food source for eagles which in turn die from the same lead poisoning.

But the underlying cause is poisoned ducks.

2. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Snarky. :mad:

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

AQ and Marsh Fox,
    The Aussie stories don't exactly line up. It sounds like in the AQ version the government banned lead shot, but the hunters/poachers broke the law to such an extent that duck season was shut down. In the Marsh Fox version, the government shut down hunting because hunters didn't voluntarily quit shooting lead. Which is it?

By the way, have y'all found one of those studies showing a species impacted that would be helped by a nationwide lead ban?

4. bill cooksey

Wow, and I always thought the eagles ingested lead shot from the carcass of crippled waterfowl.

5. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Actually wounded and un-recovered ducks per the release.

Nonetheless, the release does support lanthanide's comment that the lead shot ban was influenced by possible lead poisoning of the eagle, agree?

6. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

This thread is about banning lead shot for doves. Please apply your statement to that. Lead has been banned for duck for more than 25 years...

7. bill cooksey

He can't because there's no science to support a wholesale ban. Unless of course one is a preservationist who is concerned with the individual over the species. Obviously though he is not a preservationist as that sort wouldn't hunt.

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

The proposed ban triggered the research to push it through when kicked against, not the illegal non compliance after the ban now that did seal the coffin.
    Basicaly the same thing if they had gone with a lead ban they would have not been any research and they would be hunting, ask them if they should have gone with it or not i bet they would have had they known.

9. bill cooksey

So, there was a proposal to give up lead with no scientific reason given, and the hunters said no. Studies were done that showed a need to ban lead. Lead was banned, and hunters turned into outlaws by saying "fry it, I'm shooting lead anyway." Hunting was outlawed.

I don't have a problem with a lead ban if science shows it putting a species in peril. Show that, and I'll put my old guns (and small bore guns) up for sale, support a ban and figure the rest out as I go. I may have some guns that would interest you since you continue to shoot lead wherever it is legal.

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Dont need tests doves have crops last time i checked and they could injest lead pellets in their environments, the size of pellets used in dove hunting would fit nicely the size of the bird and the bird will be there in the same environment where hunters are shooting this lead shot, so they will be exposed to it no doubt about that without any form of tests.
    Everything preying on doves with it in them when alive or carion will injest the lead its a chain reaction . Harris hawks redtails and anything else will be affected and shot that falls in the environment is there forever with the potential to be picked up by other birds in their griting up . It needs to go lead. this is silly trying to fight for it. .