Lease prices

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Rich5294p, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Idk why you are speaking about things that you have no knowledge of. Nobody has been priced out of anything

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

That's right. Also, you forgot to mention that these owners have and spend a lot of $$ on improving their property. This benefits them, sure, but it also holds waterfowl in the area as well as jobs and income for the locals. A lot of "farm managers", maids, landscapers, cooks, etc benefit. The farms around me are either shot every day(commercials) or seldom, by owners.
    Much rather have the the "come here's"!

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

One of their party last season told the story of Tim's run for Governor. Seems he, like Fob, had played for Auburn, and in a fit of school spirit (Perhaps aided by another sort of spirit?) joked that his first act as Governor would be firing arch rival, University of Alabama, head coach Nick Saban. Which the press got wind of and ran with, and, the story went, it cost him the election. Folks take their football seriously.

4. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I always found it funny that a guy who decides he wants to pay for a lease or ground is all of a sudden "greedy scum" because they have the means to do so. Envy is a bummer I guess.

Keith McGowan likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

And I was thinking it was landowners wanting a return on their investment who were supposed to be the greedy scum. It's all so confusing...

Keith McGowan likes this.
  6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Tim also was called a racist, because he thought that the driving exam should only be given in English, but apparently you could write in in about a dozen languages in that state. Seemed common sense to me, but a lot of others didn't like it.

I can still remember helping them out for the first time. The boys had come into town in late October, and couldn't find any birds. They had been night feeding a barley field that I had permission for, and the birds would only come in right at dark. I had a business meeting that evening, and couldn't hunt with them, but I took them out to the field, introduced them to the farmer, and showed them where to set up along a ditch, and where to place their decoys, and told them not to panic, that they would have 10-15,000 mallards drop on their heads at dark +25 minutes (5 minutes left in LST in Manitoba). I went to my meeting and my boss took me out for dinner. Towards the end of the dinner , the boys came in looking for me and were all grinning ear to ear. I had been bad-mouthed by a couple of them as being crazy, and there were no birds in the valley, but they waited it out, and it was worth it, with the four of them getting their 8 bird limits in about 4 minutes prior to end of LST. The one guy ( a lawyer, I can't remember his name) was absolutely tongue tied at describing the spectacle of the mallards dropping right on top of him.

The last time we hunted together, Tim was campaigning while he was trying to hunt, and he missed a couple of snow goose limit hunts we had . Politics can sure spoil things.

I asked Tim why he never pursued a football career like his Dad. He said he was a decent running back, but never had much of a chance to play, as the running back he had to compete with at Auburn was none other than Bo Jackson. Bad timing I guess.

7. Rick Hall

Guess so.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Envy? Lol why would I knowingly drive up the cost of hunting? Thank God leasing is frowned upon around here.

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Smdh, you are in Michigan right? There are tons of clubs and leases there, maybe not like the Shore or Arkansas, but plenty nonetheless. So no it is in fact not "frowned upon" where you live.

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I've yet to see these places anywhere around here and I know a lot of farmers and farmers I hunt with that have not had anything positive to say about it. So yes, leasing is definitely a rarity around here. Deer hunters maybe, not Waterfowlers though.