Leave them out or bring them in.

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Pastor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

For those who hunt private spots do you leave your decoys out or bring them in each time? Pros? Cons? Geese? Ducks? Field?water?

2. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

both. depends on the spread and the size of it. in all honesty, i think bringing them in and putting them out when you hunt works better for geese. i have never noticed a huge difference either way when it comes to ducks.

Ringbill likes this.
  3. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Steve,I believe they will get use to them, Id pull them and hunt different spots on the lake.
    Sun is hard on some decoys when left out all the time.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I always pick mine up. If you have an influx of fresh birds on a regular basis, I doubt it matters much. Hunting the same birds day in/out, IMO, leaving decoys out would be a hindrance.

WHUP ! Hen and Ringbill like this.
  5. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Leave them out. That way the paint fades, junk is growing on them, and the duck figure your hole is a trap and come over to mine.

Fowler267 and Tuleman like this.
  6. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Leave mine out for the season. We hunt flyway birds anyways. Nothing holds in our marsh. No harm in leaving them out. Buy cheap ones every year... That way, when some get shot or dry rot, just replace them.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Hunting smaller water, I don't put out many so picking them up is not a big effort. The decoys stay looking good for a longer time. I do leave 1 decoy out each place I hunt (private) to mark where the jerk string is located.

Ringbill and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If you leave them out you are going to have to account for wind changes. We leave a few out and then set the rest according to the wind. Works for us.

Ringbill likes this.
  9. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

We put them out before season and leave them out. We set them up with 2-4 different lane to the hole. These lanes are based on typical winds, openings in the trees, and where the sun hits at different times of the day. It is not really practical to put out and pick up 40 dozen at each hole daily.

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

The only reason I want to leave them out is that most of my hunting happens before work and packing up the decoys really digs into the hunting time. And also I'm usually driving my work van because I hunt on property that work owns and I report to work on the same property. They definitely become a pain to work around when the van is loaded up with them.