Leave them out or bring them in.

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Pastor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

This. I can see leaving GIANT snow goose spreads out, but leaving duck decoys out is just lazy and a sure way to massively shorten their service time for you.

Fowler267 likes this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I had a public spot that I occasionally hunted... I would through up a camo net and sit on buckets behind some buckbrush. It was mainly a local duck spot....

Then some lazy yahoos decided to build a blind on it. I had no claim to it nor any issue with that until they decided to put out 32 decoys and LEAVE THEM OUT!!! The fools killed the spot!

I would have hunted it on occasion if they had bothered to pick up their decoys... But they did not and you don't fool local ducks with a spread that they see ten times a day. They shot diddly squat... I can only hope they learned lesson.

I don't think leaving a spread out hurts your chances with migrators at all. But the locals do learn the difference.

3. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I was really seeking information about the pros and cons of leaving them, not judgment about the motive. I assure you that it's not laziness that inspired my questions but utilization of the little time I have to hunt due to obligations such as work, church, family, soccer, baseball, school programs etc. Non of which leave room for laziness but quite the opposite. Trust me I've definitely done my share of packing decoys in and out. I've drug sleds full of gear for a mile hike into a walk in unit.

My hope was leaving them out would gain me more hunting time before work.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm not knocking you; only the guys who killed a spot where I have limited on mallards and geese on occasion. They had a short walk to get there. If they had 300 decoys I could understand but not just 32.

I prefer smaller spreads if you are walking in. I'm not mad enough to pack a heavy load . Less can be more.

5. Pastor

I agree. One of my best waterfowl experiences was a 3/4 mile hike on public property. I packed 10 decoys and my gun. No spinners or anything fancy. I seen more mallards that day than I ever have. Had my 4 mallards in about 30 minutes and just watched the show after that hoping to see something else to shoot but only mallards showed up that day but wow did they ever!!

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Pastor,
    I think that I understand your time frame situation. I tend to agree with your thought, but would say that since you put out the decoys in the dark ----when you can't actually hunt---/ shoot, ----that time "doesn't count, IMO.
    Now you are to consider picking them up & leaving the blindspot at a certain time.
    If you are setting many dozens of decoys, like I set in one of my private blinds, then I could see it.
    If it's just 2---4 dozen, pick them up.
    A real drawback----more so than decoy deteriorationThings to weigh out.

Ringbill

7. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

I totally get wanting to maximize hunt time. I am guilty of leaving decoys out as well. Fact your decoys will look like poo after a couple years of doing this. It's a slippery slope though. I've had to go get decoys in the middle of the night more than a few times to go hunt somewhere else in the morning. I don't think that it negatively effects ducks reaction to the decoys as some say. There's a huge difference between decoys sitting lifeless on a pond and when you have motion and calling going on and how ducks react.

8. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge New Member

Do what works for you. Totally get not wanting to lose hunting time to pull deeks. Leave dem suckers out there.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Quick way to have 3 dozen decoys stolen in North Alabama. Experience...

cholt likes this.
  10. Pastor

I definitely hear you. This spot is in the middle of a working vineyard and bison ranch. The fence is 8' tall and all gates are locked. We have zero resident ducks but a good number of flight birds on push days. They never stay, just down for a rest and gone again. We do have a strong number of resident geese though.

Ringbill likes this.