Leave them out or bring them in.

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Pastor, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Pastor maybe it is a depends situation. Put them out and if truly birds just coming into loaf or migrating through should not be an issue. I hunt permanent spread on our rice lease all season and I do fine. Each day just tweak spread for wind, etc. As a trial, if a day or two you have time to pick them up before you have to leave, do it and toss them out the next time you hunt, but just leave them at the spot, cover with some cover/brush. See if results are any better.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Given private land, I don't believe leaving duck decoys out is nearly the detriment that leaving goose decoys out can be.

3. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

On my private spots I store decoys in the blinds all four have about the same amount

4. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

We've done both and all things being equal, we kill more when picking up and putting out every day.

Having said that, we have one hole that we leave 40+ dozen out all year. We actually don't even really get that spread set until the 2nd or 3rd week of the season. When new ducks push in, its the place to be.

I know what works for us, your experience will likely be different (internet scout disclaimer).

Ringbill likes this.
  5. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

If theft isn't an issue, could you pick up and leave them on shore? Saves packing them and space in the vehicle.

That said, we shoot an awful lot of ducks over permanent spreads. You quickly learn which brands last and which don't, purchase accordingly... Definitely saves time and the aforementioned practicality of picking up several hundred daily.
    We also set daily if we are moving around. Just depends on the situation.

IMO, bottom line is figure out what works for you and do that.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Today I pulled the goose decoys and stashed them close but I left the duck decoys. I'm thinking (and I might be wrong) that theses resident geese could care less if they see the same ducks every day but might believe a new flock of honkers showed up if they only see them when I'm hunting. With no resident ducks I don't believe it could bother them. My main duck spot is also my best goose spot.

I can hunt often but usually not that long and leaving them out adds about an hour to my hunt.

Im Trying to use the given advise from this thread and find a way to make it work with my schedule.

Thanks for the replies!

7. MLBob

MLBob Senior Refuge Member

Last year, my long-time hunting partner and I built a permanent blind recessed into a drainage ditch in our goose hunting spot on private land. I'm 68; he's 71. He's got 2 replacement hips and a new knee. We've decided that the days of humping layouts and decoy bags & sleds out across that field every time we hunt are long gone. :fp
    Left the decoys out all season and tweaked + adjusted for wind. We used our heads, still had a blast..... and when the birds are using that field, there in no matter what. Sometimes old guys gotta do, what old guys gotta do ;)

dukbill likes this.