Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Leave them out or pick up every day

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Alpha Dogg, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Alpha Dogg

Alpha Dogg New Member

I know a lot of guides leave their spreads out. But what about the common guy that spent some 6k on a spread? I know it's a lot of work to pick up and put out every day. If you do leave it out do you camp on it? Just seeing what everyone thinks about it. I will be picking up my own spread in a few weeks if not to go again this year I will be ready next year. I just don't think I can sleep with that much money in a un watched field.

2. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

I leave mine out and only pull it for bad weather.

3. DaPutts

DaPutts Senior Refuge Member

Pick em up, i get too paranoid about losing a spread.

Hunter quit trolling!

4. Bill Artwich

Bill Artwich Senior Refuge Member

Really depends on the situation. Secluded, low traffic area and we plan on migrators a few days and we want to throw the kitchen sink at them we will leave it out. Hunting feeds or high traffic areas we will pull it daily. It also really depends how many people we have helping.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

In the past, if we were hunting multiple days, we would leave it out. After getting decoys stolen from doing that, they get picked up each day now.

6. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

Might want to check out an insurance policy for the decoys. They can be relatively cheap for the piece of mind. Ask what 6k of decoys would cost for policy with a small deductible.

7. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Great advise from snipe n . When I moved out to south dakota it's one of the first things I did. I got a 10K policy for about $90 a month.

8. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Frosty FBs on a clear day can be bad even if you sleep by the road approach and babysit the setup. I think it is pretty situational. If weather doesn't look poor and you're sleeping in the field I like having things setup so in the AM it's easy to just go climb in the blinds. If I was going to stay in a hotel or it was gonna snow/ice/rain picking up is a necessity IMO. More or less work depends on a number of factors.

If you're lazy, hunting snows really isn't the thing to do? Might cost you if you get that way. Perhaps fishing from a bridge or dock is better suited for you if you're not interested in working with little sleep.(Just rhetoric.) Otherwise pay an outfitter and let them worry about those questions. My. 02 cents... :D

9. Alpha Dogg

Alpha Dogg New Member

Not lazy by any means. I was just seeing what most do. And if stealing was a big problem. I do not mind the work we are looking to do a 9 day hunt next year on our own. Most likely SD. I am not new to the outdoors I trap hunt deer geese ect. Just going to be new to doing snows on my own. I will learn plenty the first few years for sure. Thanks everyone for their input

10. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

No-one in Texas leaves out spreads, too many thief's.