Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Leave them out or pick up every day

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Alpha Dogg, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Bill Artwich

Bill Artwich Senior Refuge Member

Mud is usually the best security guard a spread can have, it's the dry years when fields are easy to access you hear about more theft.

2. duxh8me

duxh8me Elite Refuge Member

They make GPS locators that are light weight and inexpensive... they also have some that only turn on when moved... scum suckers are going to have a tough time stealing in the future... as far as policies you better check in advanced, insurance companies will balk at payment .... time to do some predator hunting in a goose spread and get rid of the problems ... Good luck Jim in Texas

3. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Good luck with that.. Doubt any LEO with care to follow ur "track".....you gonna do the "take down" yourself ?

P

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

We've left out spreads for 2 or 3 days but beyond that we usually are moving a spread or pick it up just for peace of mind. There is something like 60 snow goose guides in South Dakota in the spring, plus all the freelance hunters. Lot of eyes out there.

5. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

You can always cut one out and place a gps tracker in them.

6. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

Ya man I always pick up after my hunt but it's not hard when you only have 300 to 500 decoys if I ever get to 1k decoys I'd probally pick up after every hunt just bc the money that's in it

7. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

This very topic actually goes into my decision where I am going to set up. Rarely will I set up off a black top or other well used road. And the further away from any road, the better. By the way, my insurance man says my decoys are covered under my homeowners insurance policy. Once in a while I will park an extra vehicle blocking the encroachment to the field as well.

Alpha Dogg likes this.
  8. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

What percentage of yall are sleeping near you spread? sounds common almost which I find surprising.

9. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

To be honest, I have not actually slept in the spread, or in the truck we leave at the field, but thought has crossed my mind.

10. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Better be really careful in South Dakota. I just heard of 2 Outfitters that got burned last week. Between the 2 they lost over 3000 decoys , several E-callers and a bunch of layout blinds.