Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Leave them out or pick up every day

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Alpha Dogg, Feb 17, 2017.

1. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Closest I've come is set up after sunset for the next morning or hunt the am n have something to do n come back to pick up in the afternoon. Took me years n years to accumulate that much crap I worked hard for it all n don't want some lowlife gettin it easy

Alpha Dogg likes this.
  2. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

Man me and my friend just set up a spread of 325 and we went home to eat and slept in the truck it's not bad bc you wake up often

Alpha Dogg likes this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

We hunt primarily public so it's drag the crap in, set it up- hunt, tear it down drag it out- we use garden wagons we all got from lowes- deer carts and sleds. We put out 90- 100 something dozen, and hunt with three- five guys. We have a good system and are all on the same page, so there is no bull crap when we get to where we are hunting. It's all business until the last wire is hooked up, and we are in our tyvek suits!
    I cannot imagine leaving a decoy rig out, it just seems too educational to the geese!

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

would be if you are hunting staged geese only. With fresh geese coming in daily or even hourly, IMO, you're not really hurting anything.

5. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

We leave out two spreads, one for the entire season the other for the last month of the season. The snows really don't look at the spread much, however, once we get in the field and get on the calls its a different story. Our birds arrive early/mid Nov and stay until mid to late Feb, they winter in our area

6. negooseman

Kid, have you ever picked up daily and then rested the field/area for few days to compare with leaving it out?

7. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

I need a bigger spread anyone selling older decoys to buy new ones let me know

8. negooseman

Hunter, Scheels usually slashes their prices on snow goose decoys once the season nears the end.

9. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

Thanks
    thanks man

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

neo,

No we dont but we adjust all season long based on what birds are doing in other fields around us. Now keep in mind our fields are typically pretty small and look like a checker board, not like the 1000 plus acre fields of the Midwest. The geese being snows and specs will feed out the centers of the field, and will move closer to the checks as it gets later and later in the year.

The pic below was taken from the road in January 2015, the snows were starving, they would land as you can see, run to the check and push thru the tall grass and uncut rice like pigs. This was the last year of drought so there were very little green feed popping up
    snows_on_check.jpg

So seeing this we adjust our spread immediately, I know what you guys are thinking, WTH are you thinking, but tough not to use the "Monkey See Monkey Do" decoy adjustment
    One of the lay out blinds at the bottom of the pic
    dekes_on_check.jpg

Spread look familiar, notice decoys are completely iced up?
    This with audio.

No audio