LED Replacement Bulb experiences

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by smashdn, Jan 8, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Had a regular "dim" bulb go out on my 13 sierra the other day so swung by advance and picked up what I needed to switch them both out. What a pain.

Got to asking about the fog lamp bulbs because they are not as bright as I would like. They had the regular sylvania style ones but counter guy recommended getting led bulbs if I wanted brighter. On amazon two of them can be had for the price of one regular bulb at the parts store.

Anything I need to be mindful of when switching to an led bulb just for the fogs? Any go-to brand or brand to stay away from?

I need 5202 bulbs if that makes a difference.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

If you really want better performance don't just swap the bulb, replace the whole assembly with leds.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya, good led's can be pricy. But a dedicated led light with multiple led's will vastly outperform just a bulb swap in most cases.
    How about a higher wattage halogen bulb? Might wanna upgrade wiring if you bump up too much though(actually upgrading wiring will likely make even the factory setup brighter).

5. Djknyork

Djknyork Refuge Member

I can't comment on vehicle light bulbs but I replaced the rear pedestal light on my boat with an LED bulb and now instead of it just being a beacon for other boats it actually produces usable light in the boat.

6. Brizzlerice

Brizzlerice New Member

I was looking into just switching out my Fog Light Bulbs on my 11' Tacoma and everything i read said that if your going for looks then switching out the bulbs is fine but if you are going for looks and for the fogs to actually do there job then you will need to replace them with LED assemblies... with that being said i went on amazon and found some LED pods with brackets and ordered those and basically was i did was took out the Fog Light housing and slid those bad boys right into where the Fog housings were suppose to go and the fit like a glove.... all i needed to do was drill a small hole for the bracket to mount to and then i adjusted the lights to where i wanted them to point and tightened everything down and BOOM those bad boys are BRIGHT!!!!

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

8. Brizzlerice

Brizzlerice New Member

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

If you want decent LED replacements for your fog lights, try Diode Dynamics.

10. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member