Leftover pups

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Mothra, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Mothra

Mothra New Member

Looking to purchase first lab puppy and have come across a coupled of kennels who have 5-6 month old puppies still. Is this something to avoid? Besides lack of demand, why would there be leftovers? Thanks

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Sounds like what we see here at the Refuge quite often.
    "I want to breed my female so that I can get a new pup", "all of my friends want one, so it won't be a problem", "my dog seems like her hips are fine, so I don't really need to have them OFA'd", etc.
    Most good breedings have all the pups sold before the breeding even takes place.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

While Doc does speak the truth (and that IS the truth), some, if not many of those dogs, can make fine hunting companions. A "meat dog", if you will. Lots of trainers will shy away from an older pup, but with some help, you can still have a good dog. You really are rolling the dice though, if there haven't been health checks on the parents. You could end up with a lame dog, and that might be why these pups haven't sold (No hip,eye, etc checks).

4. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Check for health certifications! Next see if anything has been done as far as basic training with the pups. There are now kennel owners who would prefer to train some of these pups rather than let them go early, although this is probably not the case!! I have some experience in this area - I agreed to try to give basic training to a couple of 10 month old yellow labs many years back. They had been socialized but that was about all. Pups at this age can be trained if you have the patience and remember that you are basically working with a very large two month old pup!! Older pups can learn quickly - possibly more quickly than two month old pups but you have to make sure each step is solid. Within a couple of months, these two yellow pups went to new owners who were very pleased with the progress of their "meat" dogs!! LL

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

If they are together in a run outside, probably pass. If they are crate trained, have some obedience, and have been thrown marks, maybe, but check on health certs. There are tons of pups available now or soon from all sorts of backgrounds. Buyer beware. They may be from the breed once crowd, over-priced to begin with, lacking health certs, or didn't pass them, especially elbows and eyes. It looks like many don't advertise prices and then when they are past 7 weeks because no one calls to ask prices, they then advertise with prices which probably have been lowered. The market levels out and this is a normal part of supply and demand. I don't know what the big secret is about prices. Put it out there or you will be sitting with them.

6. Mothra

Mothra New Member

Thanks for the input. I should have clarified that the parents are certified healthy and the pups all came with guarantees. In the meantime, we have decided to wait on a litter of pups from a known kennel in our area who will be ready in February. Thanks again.

7. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

FYI for the future, there is no such thing as "certified healthy" unless that is your wording. You want to see health certs with numbers, most of which are on OFA. Ask to see the guarantees and what they say. They may say you have to put the dog to sleep to have them honor the guarantee

8. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

If the pups have been socialized well and have good health certs., there's no reason not to choose a 5 month old pup. I got mine at 4 months of age and she's been great. The key is socialization. If they've been shut in a kennel with no interaction for all this time, I'd pass.

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Whatever that means ?

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I bought a lab from breeder about 12 years ago that was 4 1/2 months old. The plan was to keep it and train it and eventually breed it. Well plans changed, breeder/trainer was moving and told wife to sell it. Best dog out of my 6 labs. Was fairly well along with basic obedience, the trainer had two small children and they played with that pup all the time so she was well socialized and was easy to train. Sometimes there may be a back story not just a worthless breeding. I agree some probably don't want to own, but make sure you ask some questions.