Legal aspect for calling only

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by bruce, Dec 14, 2017.

1. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

In Indiana, if a person accompanies a waterfowl hunting party for the sole purpose of calling, what rules apply to that person? Bag limit? License? Stamp? What else?

2. WillowSloughHunter

WillowSloughHunter Senior Refuge Member

If your going just to call then don't go.

3. bruce

Well, Is there a legal aspect to the situation? What if I just love waterfowl hunting but am physically limited though can at least call? Love to see the sun come up, hear the morning sounds, enjoy the camaraerie, so , I should stay home? What if I am a pretty effective caller? My question remains the same. What are the legalities? I have spent about forty years waterfowl hunting and am not receptive to being told to stay home. Anyone got some information about the legal aspect?

4. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Save yourself a headache and buy the license and stamps then there will be no legal issues nor interpretation by an overzealous CO.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

What? I've gone and just called for a couple of guys just starting out duck hunting. And they enjoyed it as I did too, they gifted me a duck & goose.

6. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Better to be safe than sorry .

7. duckheads

duckheads Senior Refuge Member

Just called IDNR and was informed you do need a license to sit and call the ducks. You are participating in the hunt therefore you need a license. So I guess when we take our young children out on a hunt with us before they have a gun we are breaking the law since they are "participating in the hunt". Sounds ridiculous to me but what do I know!

I have an extra unsigned federal duck stamp I will give you if you do decide to go out. PM me your address and I will mail it to you if you want it.

8. bruce

Thank you. I really didn't intend for someone else to go out of their way due to my question. I figured someone would just know the answer. I'll consider that to be a very nice Christmas gift from someone I don't know. I hope I can return the favor in the future.

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

In most states, hunting includes aiding. The caller needs licenses and his bag limit is zero if he has not shot any birds.

10. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

Good luck with that one holding up in court with a judge...or finding that anywhere in state statute.

Having said that, you should buy your license anyway as it goes to a good cause o_O