Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Legal Shotguns for waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by duckgent, Feb 13, 2018.

1. duckgent

duckgent Senior Refuge Member

I know it used to be in the hunting books, but does anyone know the current requirements for a legal waterfowl gun in Illinois?

I know we have to use non-toxic shot, but is there a restriction on gauge?

Is there any length requirements? We were debating the new Remington Tac-14 as a swatter gun for cripples when snow goose hunting. https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I am quite sure of the following (per a talk with Law Enforcement but this was a while ago...)....

In Il., the barrel must be 18".
    With the barrel on the gun, open the bolt. Slide a dowel down the muzzle til it stops. Mark on the end still sticking out of the muzzle. Pull the dowel out. Measure from where the dowel stopped to the mark you made. If this is 18", you are legal. Basically, from the firing pin all the way down to the muzzle.

As for gauge restrictions, no larger than a 10 ga.

IF the tac-14 is legal, I'd be leery using that as a swatter gun.....seems awfully short ( less muzzle control due to being short ), it'll be loud around your hunting partners and even if using "light" loads, I think with that pistol grip she'd wanna "jump".
    Shooting a crippled, scared duck on the water "from the hip" isnt the same as lining up the gun on your shoulder and cheek and getting a good, well aimed shot off.

3. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Barrel length is checked with the bolt closed , not open .

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Closed, yes. My bad.
    Again, from the firing pin to the muzzle, with barrel on the gun.

5. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

As some have mentioned, you may lose some friends with that short barrel especially if in a pit. I had a 870 with a 23" barrel that I had to take goose hunting once as the main gun was in the shop. Deafening is all I can say and that was from my perspective. We rearranged in the pit where I was on the end and I limited my field of fire so that it was always away from the others. Luckily it was a good day and I finished pretty quick but the first volley was tough.... Oh and it didn't help that I was using my reloads that sound like a 10ga already...

6. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

For cripples we started keeping a single shot 12ga. w/ a 30 in barrel in the boat. 5 shells in a holder that slides on the butt. Shells are 3" 6shot. Believe me they kill a cripple on the water. A lot more shot to get one in the head. Don't have to worry about getting a gun out of the blind, just get in the boat and get after the duck. Only lost 2 this year and one of them got up and flew before we could get close enough to "dispatch" it.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Have a good buddy who hunts with a ported Mossberg 24" turkey gun. I know your pain! It is deafening in a blind.

8. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Had a guy show up with a ported barrel to hunt with us once out of a metal tank pit.... I told him to pull out his back up gun for the next day because if I saw that ear busting POS come out in the morning I was going to mud stomp it.... He laughed and looked over at the other 2 guys and saw their look. The older guy looks at him as says, "he's letting you off easy, I was going to take the cutting torch to it" He was shooting his 28" 870 the next morning.

9. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

The mossberg shock wave and Remington Tac are not classified as shotguns. They are classified as firearms.