Length and spacing on long lines

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Just wondering how others build there long lines. Wondering if mine are too long.i rig my broadbill and scoter lines the same way.
    Start with 140 foot long line, that is anchor to anchor.
    Anchor, home made lead "dog bowl" anchor clipped onto end of line. I find it easier to clip the head anchor off for storage......I use large plastic tubs that will nest after decoys are put out.
    Twenty feet of line between anchor and first decoy. First four decoys are only 5 feet apart. Next four are 8 feet apart, then two at ten and the last two are 15 feet apart. I put out 3 lines for scoter and four for broadbill. From the last decoy I have another 20 feet to the stern sash weight which stays in the bottom of the tub.
    I also place a " pod" of decoys on single ten foot lines out first. The long lines go in behind the pod with about a twent footy gap between them. That twenty foot gap is the shooting gap. I double anchor the boat, 18 foot Crestliner with a beaver tail blind, near the gap.
    In total from first individual decoy to last is about 150 feet long.
    The only other deeks I use are a half dozen buffleheads in a small pod behind and to the right of the boat.
    I used to put out a pod of a dozen old squaw when I lived in NY, here in NC I haven't used the old squaw.
    I wonder if I should just put out a shorter, more closely spaced long line.
    One thing I forgot , I'll put a half dozen individual decoys WAY out behind the rig. Maybe 50 feet apart.
    This year I made some scoter silly I'll put them behind the long lines just behind some solid huge foam scoter I made. So that will be pod of individuals,gap,three long lines, half dozen goose size solids then finally the 6 silly that are way oversized. Then another few individuals way out there.
    OK, that is what I do, please feel free to comment or criticize on my set up and post how you do it differently.
    In NY we kept all anchor lines separate. Sash weights with 50 feet of line. Here in NC the water is shallower. I only need 10 feet of line on the individuals.

2. dankoustas

dankoustas Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a great set up. I like how you put the dekes apart at different distances, I do that as well. I would say you have a pretty good system set up.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I wish mine were a fraction as organized as yours are.