Let the lawsuits begin....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Wareagle1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Just heard on the radio a 20 year old, Tyler Watson of Portland, ore is filling a lawsuit against Walmart and dicks for not selling him a rifle.
    Sorry for no link but I’m sure someone with time will find it.
    Hope he wins!

cootmeurer and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

Nice, I hope it's true and he wins!

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

As was mentioned in another post - no grounds here for a Federal suit, but lots of states have age discrimination laws, and those would be especially costly to defend against. Instead of trotting out 1 high powered lawyer for a Federal case, they will need to trot out a lawyer in each state that has a lawsuit, without the hope of consolidating the cases into a larger suit. I hope responsible young gun buyers in each state join the cause.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  4. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

I'm stumped at the lack of free-market principles being championed here. Why shouldn't Dick's be allowed to sell to whomever they choose?
    Is this any different than a Christian baker refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding? The government should not be in the business of forcing association.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

You gotta understand, the crowd here likes the 2A but doesn’t like gays.

Phytoplankton and seiowa like this.
  6. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hope he loses, although I agree with his sentiment. I’m tired of people using the courts to tell businesses how to run their daily operations. I didn’t like it with the gay wedding cake and I don’t like it now. There is enough regulation on businesses as it is. This needs to stop.

Ringbill, mak2782 and dwhauss like this.
  7. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Enlighten me.

To a simpleton like me, someone is trying to force a business to do something that business doesn't want to do. That's wrong, whether it's someone trying to force Dick's to sell him a gun or a gay guy trying to force a baker to make a cake for him.

BirdJ likes this.
  8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Don't fall for it Bill!
    [​IMG]

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

It's also quite possible that some of you need to stop assuming what others "hate". Hate is a very strong emotion in my mind. I try not to "hate" anything without just cause. I dislike a lot of things, but I can dislike something and not be a hateful arsehole about it.

tcc, GUNNERX2, creedsduckman and 2 others like this.
  10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

So there is a public accommodation issue, can he just as easily walk into another store? The Supreme Court may weigh in on that in the Colorado bakery case.

Oregon
    Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, all persons within the jurisdiction of this state are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any place of public accommodation, without any distinction, discrimination or restriction on account of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age, as described in this section, or older.