Let's get a topic going.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by YellowLabKS, Jan 8, 2001.

1. YellowLabKS

YellowLabKS Senior Refuge Member

Well, what do we want to talk about first?
    Gear (Calls, Guns, Decoys, Camo, Chokes, Shells)

Bragging (Longest beard, most beards, heaviest bird, longest spurs.)

Seasons (When does yours start? How long does it run? How many birds can you kill?)

Let's get it on. 93 days and counting.
    Gobble,gobble,gobble

2. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

Okay turkey experts..

I have only been turkey hunting about 4 times in my life and have a lot to learn.

Why will a Turkey "not" cross a ditch? We had a nice gobbler work the call and he would come as far as a little drainage ditch, but wouldn't cross..

Why??

Thanks,

David

3. blu4runner

blu4runner Senior Refuge Member

I've always been told that the hen traditionally comes to the gobbler. So you're trying to get the gobbler to break habit and come to the hen. Once you get him committed to come in you need to try and have any natural barriers out of the way (drainage ditches creeks fences etc). Every once and a while they will cross but for beter odds try to have the path of least resistance. also try to call the gobbler uphill vs downhill.
    Thanks for the Turkey forum!!

4. Mallard

Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Blu4runner is right
    the hens usually go to the gobbler
    but sometimes you can lure the gobbler
    in with some good calling but most of
    time if theres some obstacle in their
    way they probably wont get within your
    shooting range.

5. Tuffy

Tuffy Senior Refuge Member

It's always SEEMED to me that they will cross a lot of just those same barriers to get to a hen. The problem is that they won't cross that LAST one. I think that they will walk through rocks to get to where they think she can hear AND see them. It's up to her then.

It sure doesn't work all the time (nothing will), but I find that if I back away from that barrier at LEAST 100 yards and keep calling, the birds will often come on across. Sometimes, this can be messed up by "locking" too hard on the first spot before you realize there is a barrier.

Still, as said above, best not to put any between you and the birds.

ps. If I forget to type the words "seems" or "think" in any of my posts, they should ALWAYS be assumed. I know they can show me how stupid I am and I am getting superstitious about it.

6. Speedracer

Speedracer Refuge Member

I agree with Tuffy, the gobblers want to get to where the HEN can see HIM and then its up to her--thats the way it really happens--the hens go to the gobbler to get bred. I also believe that turkeys are alot like ducks--there are days when you think you've got everything just right, wind, dekes, weather, and the ducks fly by and just want to land over there or even worse just keeeep goooing. Who knows what they see and why they do what they do--we'll probably never get them figured out which is probably for the best anyway.. Rick

Make him Gobble again!!!

7. Buckeye Quacker

Buckeye Quacker Senior Refuge Member

Tuffys got this one pegged fairly good and thats about as good as you can get in Turkey hunting.Its best though to try and keep the barriers to a minimum if at all possable . But I've seen the crazy things fly acrossed small rivers before so you never know .If you got a hot bird talkin to you try and keep him fired up and sometimes they will sure suprise you . another tatic is just stop calling and like Tuffy said move back about a hundred yrds like the hen is leaving and reset . Or you can let the gobbler move off then you can cross over or reset next to the barrier and try him again sometimes if he hasn't moved off too far he just might come back on in and this time your in much better posistion. to put the hammer on him .
    Good safe hunting ,
    B. Q.

------------------