Let's Get Gimpy!!!

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Adduckted, Nov 18, 2017.

  1. Adduckted

    Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

    Jul 11, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    So about 2 years ago, I got my kids compound bows for Christmas and had so much fun with theirs I got myself one, a Diamond Infinite Edge. That following spring, my new wife and I bought a new house that is part of a neighborhood and has a 5 acre common area behind it. When we met the HOA President came by, I joked with him about hunting it, he commented, what I don't know about doesn't hurt me. Soooo, I put up a 15' ladder stand overlooking a corn pile about 15 yds away.

    Last year I took a button buck (thought it was a doe) back there after missing a doe. Earlier this year, I took a nice doe. Since that time, I've been chasing after a Buck I've seen on game cameras that I named "Gimpy". Many of you know I travel quite a bit and yesterday decided to cash in a personal day because everything weather wise looked like it was going to line up. Very glad I did.

    I got up at 6 am, got all showered up in scent free, got dressed in freshly washed scent free gear, and was told by my wife as I stepped out the door "go get him, honey!". I made my way to my ladder stand, its only a 5 minute or so walk. Climbing into the stand, I was certain it was going to be the day.

    About 30 minutes after I got in, a small doe walked up and began to feed on a small bait pile I have out. As she fed, I caught movement off to my right, where normally I only see squirrels. This time, it was 3 more does, about 40 yds away. I continued to sit still thinking, "buddy, if you blink an eye wrong, you can kiss today goodbye". Eventually, the first doe meandered off, met up with the others, and they proceeded on to parts unknown. Whew, I thought, at least I can breathe now.

    No sooner had I thought that than 4 more does came walking into view from the direction the first came from. Two yearlings, a 2 year old, and a weathered momma. The yearlings and momma proceeded to go straight to the pile, but the 2 yr old acted skittish. She knew something was up and started looking right at me, daring me to move. This staring contest went on for over 5 minutes, until she finally scooted along down the trail, followed by the yearlings. Momma stuck around another couple of minutes, looking back from where she came from before heading out herself.

    Man I thought, this has been a fantastic day. In the stand less than an hour and already seen 8 does. I was still hoping but was satisfied when I started hearing a tending grunt and about that time, I saw a leg move from where the deer had been coming in. I continued to sit still and suddenly he came into the clearing and I thought, "Oh my God, its Gimpy!".

    Head down on the ground, he walked deliberately to the bait pile, grunting all the way. I couldn't believe how big he was. At some point in his life, he'd damaged his rack, his left side a perfectly shaped 4 point, but his right, all twisted and mangled, growing up like skinny cypress knees. As a "neighborhood" deer, he's grown enormous for a central NC deer and he was certainly in the rut, I could smell him from my stand. My heart was pounding like a pile driver, and I tried in vain to calm myself down, sure he could hear my telltale heartbeat.

    Gimpy was oblivious. As he continued to feed, I slowly raised my bow into position, clipping my release on the loop, waiting for him to give me a quartering away shot. Suddenly he was in position and I quietly drew the bow back to full draw. I lined up the sight in the peep, checked the level, took a deep breath, felt a brief moment of remorse, I touched the release trigger.

    The morning silence was spilt. "Thump, ffffft, THWACK!!!!"

    Gimpy kicked his back legs and ran off the direction he was facing. The 2" mechanical broadhead and made an enormous cut and I could see the wound spewing as he ran into the densest thicket in the small wood, where I heard him struggle and crash. Suddenly all was quiet again and I thought, "Oh my God, I got him".

    Quickly I gathered my gear, lowered my bow, and climbed down from the stand. I crossed the little creek in front of me and walked over to where he was standing an retrieved the arrow, which had passed clean through. Covered in blood, I felt the blades of the broadhead and they were still razor sharp with no damage. I looked just to my right and saw blood splatter on a tree. The tracking job was brief, he'd bled out in less than 30 yards.

    Looking at him I though, "Gracious what a Swamp Donkey, how am I going to get him out of here?!?!". I grabbed his horns, which were chocolate and polished smooth, and proceded to drag him out, stopping 3 times to catch my breath. When I got him out of the bottom into my yard, I thought "screw all this!" and went to get my SUV, attaching a hitch cargo carrier and driving down into the bottom. It was all I could do to roll him onto the carrier.

    I drove him up to the house, where my kids were ecstatic, "Holy Cow, what a deer!!!" they said. I called him in to the DNR as there was no service in the woods and took him to my processor. When he saw his size and unique rack, he commented "You are going to mount that rascal aren't you?" to which I replied, "Heck yes!".

    As we drew him up, we found out he weighed in at 178 lbs. Examining his teeth, we estimated him to be 5-6 years old. To date, he's the largest deer I've ever taken and certainly the most unique. I look forward to sharing him with friends and family and will remember the excitement of his appearance for many years to come!

    Attached Files:

Share This Page