Lets hear how the holiday hunting was....

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by Tubs, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Tubs

Tubs Senior Refuge Member

I only hunted on Thursday morning but it worked out and the Duck gods again shined on me... had tons of birds everywhere and limited in about an hour... I was suppose to go on Saturday but I comp'd out and stayed home to help out the family.

Count for the day was.... 2 redheads (first redheads ever) 4 ruddies and a ring. In all me and Birdup came out with 4 readhead 3 of which we got in one flock of 3 drakes and one hen (we only shot the drakes :D )..

Not to bad and got home before noon :tu

2. Birdup

Birdup Moderator

That was a lot of fun.

I have never seen a flock of Ruddys before and since I have never taken a drake Ruddy I waited on the flock (about 100 birds) until a drake was in range. So I pull up to take the drake and I drop him in one shot. After watching him do the world war II fighter plane splash down, I notice that two more birds were down right behind him. So I retrieve the birds and find that in one shot I got three drake Ruddys. :tu It was really cool to do but I had also filled my limit on Ruddys. Oh well, I always liked Ruddys anyway. They remind me of a Teal on steroids. :l

3. Tubs

Yeah I was all excited about getting a triple a few weeks ago and then Birdup has to go and get a triple in one shot :eek: slacker :D

4. DukVorkian

DukVorkian Senior Refuge Member

5 GW Teal and 2 Spoonies at Wister on Saturday morning.

5. SkyWatcher

SkyWatcher Senior Refuge Member

Man I love ruddies...little bowling balls with wings....and tasty too!

6. Light12

Light12 Senior Refuge Member

I'm a newbie to AZ waterfowl, so you won't here much out of my mouth, I don't have a honey hole yet. But I manage to call 3 candadas just out of range saturday to atleast make myself feel better. Next time its bigger shot and a couple of goose decoys to add to the load.

7. Tubs

Light12

Gotta start somewhere this is only my second year hunting... helps to have someone take you out that knows what they are doing... I don't think I would have a bird yet if I would have had to do it on my own.... Good luck maybe I can help you out one of these days.

8. Light12

Light12 Senior Refuge Member

Tubs if your kind enough PM me, I live in chandler also. A little advice would greatly be appreciated. This isn't back home where I spent nearly every day on the Mississippi.

You didn't happen to be heading up seven springs direction thanksgiving day. I had a Hunter with Duck stickers on his truck next to me all the way from chandler.

9. Tubs

I was driving on turkey day but I don't think out that way... if you saw a guy in a silver dodge ram 1500 pulling a duck boat then it was me, I do have a delta waterfowl sticker on the truck.........

10. Desert Duck

Desert Duck New Member

Only had a chance to get out and chase doves over the long weekend. Got out early Friday morning with a buddy and his Dad who was in from Montana. It was an odd hunt. Most of the birds were already in the field by sun up. We figured they spent the night there because there were so many of them and they didn't fly past us to get there. (brilliant aren't we?!!)

So we ended up flushing them like pheasants and limited in about 45 minutes.

Also had a chance to work my 7 month old yellow lab. She made two good retrieves and also found one of our lost birds my older, experienced dog missed. Expectations are high for the future! :tu