Let's say you could only buy 1 plastic duck call...

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by grahler, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

J Frame. One of my molded Open Waters. A fair amount of both meat and mainstreet contests have been won on that insert as well.

2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

The Black River Tyrant would be my choice. Bit more spendy but mass produced-ish and molded.

Greenhead Rocker likes this.
  3. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

the blue greg hood DU call

bullpinnie likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I like that one , too.

5. HybridMachine

HybridMachine Elite Refuge Member

I've killed a good share of ducks with the Echo Trash Talker

6. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

Is that the black timber call that goes for about $55?

7. grahler

grahler Senior Refuge Member

Beyond a certain price point, you open this game up to more premium stuff.
    For the available sound files of all calls mentioned thus far my choices remain the same.
    Why pay 20 bucks more for a soundfile that's basically comparable if not a bit thin compared to a proven insert like the Echo or Haydels? I don't know where the high price limit of the thread is but fifty bucks is getting pretty spendy.
    I found a study that was done on duck vs duck call acoustics and the basic finding was the double Reed was closer acoustically to a real duck. I've no idea what calls were used in the study because it was like forty bucks to download.
    If anyone has it or would like to share that would be neat.
    My basic prob with most double Reed calls is that they tend to load up a bit under heavy use and you have to deal with that or else the buildup effectively shortens the Reed and raises the pitch.
    I hate corks too but thats another story. I have a damn good coco rnt original and short barrel but they require good cork. Heavy use and they get flat incorrect sounding. Fresh cork and they are happy again but also they are wood so there's a sweet spot there too. They have personality. Also after a few years I couldn't get my original back into that magic tune. I went through quite a few reeds before getting it back. Mine is very very sensitive on the Reed length.
    That's why I like the Haydels setup so much. I've used it heavily and it stays the same sound wise. At one point I had hold of a great D.C. Call that also didn't change under heavy use but I gave it to a friend who kept begging me for it. Wish I would have kept it it was a good double Reed. I think 14 thousandths reeds have potential in combo with molded plastic but you gotta get a good one. I'd like to be able to sample through some bins of D.C. Stuff and find a few good ones. Not worth the risk of buying at Wally World or whatever imo.
    For a single the Echo is a proven performer. I bet the basis for the mold was one of the best timbers they ever made nuff said.
    Biggest mistake call I ever bought though was Prime Meat. Inadequate volume for me.
    Lol I really love calls...What a great toy to goof with and tool to put meat on the table with or even like some pocket cash with. Calls are cool.
    I tried the rnt knock off plastic one that looks like the original. Mine was junk. I filed the insert to serviceable at one point but then went too far and just threw her away...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  8. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Echo open water in whatever color poly I can find it in. A heck of a call for the price.

grahler likes this.
  9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Yes, but for hunting purposes I like it in a slightly shorter barrel, so I run it in our double reed barrel.

10. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

I agree