Let's talk about your Failures?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Fowler267, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Waterfowler's as a group can be pretty inventive and with invention comes many failures!

I don't have pictures of some of mine but I do have the memories.

Circa 1993: My first attempt at a boat blind... I found and old pick up camper top... Thin aluminum and available for a song!... I bolted that sucker onto my old tired V- hull then cut a hole in the top and made a flip up door that you could see out from under. It hung over the gunnels about six inches on each side. I attached some wire and brushed it up.

First trip to the boat dock was a windy day..... Center of Gravity decided to have some input and so did the crosswind! The old 16 ft V-hull dang near capsized and the topper caught wind like a sail! I also learned a great lesson on the value of side mounted boat guides on the trailer as I played hell getting the boat to stay on the trailer while I tried to pull it out. Topper was unbolted and hauled to the land fill....

Circa 2000: Culvert pits for a sandbar island..... Buy 36 inch steel culvert. Have it cut in 48 inch lengths... Dig hole in sand bar(Below water level...), pour several bags of concrete in and let harden. Friends and I disagreed about trying to keep water from seeping in. He wanted to bail the water out. I made the point that you can't bail the whole lake out. I wanted to pour the concrete then ADD water so that what was in the tube would keep anymore from pushing it's way in and breaking the concrete seal... We ended up un able to really get the tubes deep enough into the sand to make them effective. They did not fool many ducks but they probably took out a few lower units when the lake was at Summer Pool.....

Circa 2001: Open water 48 inch plastic culvert with fence posts driven in as anchors.... We had to wait for the lake level to get right so that the top of the culvert was barely out of the water. Poured in 800 Lbs of concrete and 90 Lbs of Portland Cement to firm things up... Left it to harden up and waited for duck season to start....

The Winter Pool level is usually never maintained. That year it stayed well above it and the culvert pit for the first few weeks of duck season... When it finally was low enough to bail the pit out, a friend and I headed out. We showed up and I put him in the pit to bail out the water while I set the decoys. (We had knee deep water ten yards away) Kieth had about half the water out when he started shouting my name.... It turns out that if you bail half the water out of a 48 inch culvert that is four feet deep and filled with 900 lbs of concrete plus fence posts to anchor it ;it will still float like a cork...

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Now that last one deserves pictures!Always keep the camera handy!

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

If you're going to hunt an open hole surrounded by ice, make sure you have a way to get the boat off the ice when the wind pushes you up on it. (Motorless flat john, ice thick enough to hold the boat but not me).

Blinds built on salt marsh flats that flood and get 40mph + winds don't survive long.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

I thought my all welded "built like a tank" boat was rock proof. see guys sumping stumps and gravel bars online..... it wasn't. about lost the damn thing. had good insurance tho!

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. Fowler267

I know there is many a story of an unstable floater blind.... I have seen too many of them flipped over!

6. Fowler267

After the pit miseries..... I tried a stilt blind covered in mirror tiles. I figured if you can't get under the water to hide ; then try your best to look just like the water!

We did kill a few ducks out of it but the mirror tiles were fragile. Wind vibration caused them to crack and fall off. ( I had them attached with four pieces of wire.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Built a boat blind frame out of emt conduit, didn't space the cross members out very well, was very difficult to get in and out of and standing was almost impossible, about 1/2 hour before shooting time the first time out, my buddy ripped the "Cage of Death" off the boat and threw it in the river!

Zane and Fowler267 like this.
  8. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

No failures, just learning experiences

bullpinnie and Fowler267 like this.
  9. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Built a boat blind out of conduit and covered it in burlap camo with bundles of cat tails. Was hunting a front with freezing rain and the burlap turned into a sold sheet as stiff as plywood lol. It was very interesting the way I had to tie it up just to get it home and then had to thaw it out in the garage. Made quite a puddle.

10. Fowler267

I have a long list of "learning experiences".....;)