Let's talk about your Failures?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Fowler267, Sep 27, 2017.

1. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

High School.

Week 1 - we build a very rudimentary plywood blind on private ground, within cat tails. Cover front and side with cattaild affixed with staple gun. Works well, at least much better than anything a bunch of 16 year olds have thought up so far.

Week 2 - cold snap, we decide we need heat in blind, so in High School Ag shop we build a primitive hibachi grill that we can load with charcoal. Next weekend we test and it works. We have heat and can roast slabs of spam with sticks.

Week 3 - late start, rush out to blind. Water is skim ice. Leave one guy in blind while two others break ice and put out our entire 23 decoy spread. Tell blind guy to get the heat going cause we are cold. He can't get charcoal lit. We head to blind, spray a ton of lighter fluid on charcoal and throw match. Entire front of blind goes up in flames. So - at first shooting light we end up kicking flaming plywood blind front onto ice and water. Needless to say - no ducks killed that morning.

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You needed heat in North Carolina? Just making sure I'm reading that right.

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Didn't grow up in NC. Was born a Yankee (well - 1/2 Yankee). As soon as I graduated college I went south and never came back (except on holidays to family, or hunt)

Montauker likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

5 years ago, my brother and I built platforms for our layout blinds ( think MO Marsh invisilay). on about our third or fourth hunt using them, one of the legs on my brothers blind sunk into a soft spot in the ground, and the whole thing flipped over backwards, and tossed my brother in the drink. My brother had stage 4 lymphoma at the time and was about 2 months into RCHOP (Chemo) Therapy. He had two ports for the chemo that got completely soaked with swamp water. We rushed back to the house, and scrubbed him down with hydrogen peroxide and and alcohol, then headed to the hospital where we were both scolded by his doctors for being so stupid.

Fowler267 and callinfowl like this.
  5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

When you hunt with multiple ports and no hair due to chemo; You are REALLY mad at the ducks!

bullpinnie likes this.
  6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

He was living like he was dying:yes

He is 5 years in remission now, and doing great!

You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I am heartened by reading these posts. I have no discernable engineering or construction skills, yet that hasn't stopped me from constructing various contraptions that did little more than lighten my wallet, ultimately fail miserably, and end up in the trash. Many others apparently have my same affliction:grvn

goodluck, Phytoplankton and Fowler267 like this.
  8. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

The spot I usually hunt gets glassy water really easy. I tried a jerk string but the blinds a pit so yanking on the cord with your arm out of the top of the blind was obviously making getting ducks to finish a little difficult. I saw the pulsators and being on a high school budget I tried to make one from one of the tatorials on here. I got all the parts, wired it up and tried it in the bathtub at my parents house and am feeling pretty happy with myself cause it all worked. First morning out I hook it all up and toss them both in the water while it's still dark. Buy the time shooting light comes around neither of them are working. I pull them both up and both of the batttery boxes are full of water. Turns out you really have to pay attention to the way the seals sit in the box otherwise they leak. To this day their both in my garage and don't work.

9. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

First boat blind I built on an old 1548 worked OK, but not great. It just didn't hid well enough and I don't think I shot but 5 ducks from that blind before I took it off and just used the boat for transport. Sold the boat and have been layout boat hunting since, so much better.

10. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift New Member

Homemade quiver butts were a bust.

Someone had a sale on quiver magnets and I had the bright idea of affixing them to some cheap feeder butt decoys to save a few bucks. Not a terrible idea but in practice it just didn't work very well. I cut the keel off the dekes and caulked the lid of the magnet to the bottom, then screwed the magnet into the lid and put them in the water. First off, if the magnet isn't PERFECTLY centered the decoys will list, tip over, and not stay upright. And once the mags are held in place with waterproof caulk you can't really get them off and reposition them. So that wasn't working.

So I started caulking washers, and nuts, and other assorted bits of weight to the bottom to get them to stay upright. If it leaned left, I would put a washer on the right side. Then it would tip forward, so I would stick a nut to the back side. Then it would tip to the rear and leftward, so I would stick some pennies to the opposite side. Then it would tip to the right again. Etc, etc etc. I had more junk stuck to the bottom of those things but eventually I had two that would stay upright... IF and only IF I delicately hand placed them in the water and there was no wind or any ripple on the water. If I threw them they would never land upright, and one little breeze, or ripple in the water, would tip them right over making them look more like a crippled butt than a quiver butt.

I think if I had filled them with foam it might have worked better, but in the end I wound up chucking them both. The amount of time, hassle, and screwing around with those things wasn't worth the ten bucks I was "saving" over an actual quiver butt decoy.

Fowler267 likes this.