Let's talk about your Failures?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Fowler267, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

One reason I LOVE a jerk string! I can get the string hung in the prop, cut it out and re tie it and I'm back in business!

No batteries to charge, nothing is fragile.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Another semi-failure was my attempt at a motion decoy.

Bought a couple "weasel balls" from Cracker Barrel, cut an opening in the top of some old junk flambeaus, filled with spray foam.

One, apparently balanced correctly, seemed to work until it wobbled too much and got water in. It slowly faded as the morning went on and eventually died.

The other, which my long time hunting buddy Dorkweed dubbe "Janet Reno" just sat there and quivered intermittently, as if it had a tic.

For the most part I got the creative failure bug out of my system while young. As I aged I either could afford a factory made functional gadget, or more and more I enjoy simplicity. Maybe by the time I am 70 I will be the crusty old guy that hunts with 7 hand carved corkers and my original 870 wing master

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Left the boat on her trailer in the back yard attached to the truck as I was planning to go out the next morning. Big thunder storm that night and forgot the boat wasn't tipped back to drain. Lots of water, bent trailer. Pumped the water out, raised the lowest bent section with a jack. Bent it back up and it cracked. Bought new 4 inch box steel for $35 and fixed it.

4. Fowler267

I thought I had pictures of one of my mishaps. I had my little v-hull with 6.5 longtail on it. It was pouring rain and I was looking for a spot to hunt at 0 dark 30. Pulled into a side driveway that I thought was a road. It had a chain across the driveway and so the long tail was sticking out in the road. I tried to back up in a hurray as I did not want a car to appear out of the rain and hit the motor.

Ended up jackknifing the trailer badly! I bent the tung plus twisted it over about a foot to one side. I had it straightend but it has never been the same.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

In many attempts to "build it myself" I have never built anything that turned out this side of shoddy.

6. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

Back when spinners were first coming out I took an old 6v motor, an old Flambeau drake, some political lawn signs and set to work making my own.
    As I was cutting the bottom out of the decoy (using a utility knife in an unsafe fashion) I slipped with the knife and laid open my shin down to the bone. Our kids were pretty small and my wife made them both sit on the couch and promise not to move a muscle while she dropped me off at the ER. She barely slowed down to let me hop out and sped home. When I got back home I went back to find my project still sitting on the floor where I left it but the utility knife was missing. I asked the kids if the had seen it and my then 5 yo daughter (now 23) said she hid it so I wouldn’t hurt myself again.
    After multiple tries rewireing, rebalancing and swearing I finally got the thing to work. I took it with on a trip to Nebraska with my brothers and some buddies. I was bragging up how we were going to slay the birds over my “robo duck”.
    We got set up the next morning and when I flipped the switch my frankendecoy fluttered to life.......for about two minutes. I spent the rest of the morning tinkering with the wiring, trying to keep the wings balanced and generally cussing at the damned thing. About two hours into the fiasco, one of my buddies said “Hey Doc what did you pay for that thing?”
    I told him about $7 in materials etc. He got up reached in his pocket and handed me a 10 dollar bill and then shouldered his shotgun and blew the crap out of my robo!
    He turned got back into his blind grinning and said “best $10 I ever spent”
    Still laugh about it every year when we get back together.

7. Fowler267

8. Fowler267

I decided to build a layout boat with room for my dog... I used 12 foot 2x12s to form a frame. I had to hold sheet of 8 foot and a sheet of 4 foot plywood together plus I was putting a 4 inch drop box in for me to get the lowest profile possible.

That sucker weighed a ton! It was so heavy that I decided to leave it anchored on an island and pick it up and tow it when I was ready to hunt...

But with all that weight plus me and the dog... It still would not float level with the water line. The drop box made it float too high. I literally ended up hanging steel plate weights off the front end to get the front down to where it was supposed to be.

I never did kill a duck out of it!

9. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

This wasn't mine, but I witnessed it. Some guys built a pretty decent looking floating blind. It was on 6 sealed plastic 55 gal. drums, had a nice wooden floor, and metal frame, even a dry box. But in their engineering they did not account for towing it, those 55 gallon drums were like pulling a piece of plywood sideways against the current and caused it to track back and forth about 25 feet as they were towing it (several miles), a moderate wind made it even more fun. They could only go about 3 mph or it got real squirrely. About two weeks into the season I found it abandoned up a dead end slough.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. Fowler267

It's not uncommon to see a floater break loose and float away in these parts. Ice combined with wind or current will do a number on them.

Or a big rain that raises the lake up and breaks the anchor lines.