Let's talk brown bears

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by huntersdad, Jan 28, 2012.

1. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

I'm interested in a photography trip to Alaska either this year or next. Focused completely on brown bears. Probably doing a 2-3 day trip. Time frame is open as is location.

Since you guys live there, I'm hoping you might be able to give a guide recommendation based on what you have heard people say about their guided trips. I'd rather pay more for better than less for OK.

I know the typical season is June - September, so I'd also love to hear when you guys think is best for different locations.

If you happen to do this for a living or have a family member who does, by all means, shoot me a PM.

2. duckdon

duckdon Senior Refuge Member

Google Brooks Camp or Katmai

3. huntersdad

I did that. I've looked at alot of guides, just didn't know if there was one that you guys really recommended based on knowledge and accomodations.

4. full choke

full choke Senior Refuge Member

Look up charlie summerville (I think that is his name). He used to post a lot on here but I think he got kicked off over that whole st paul island guide fight fiasco. He used to run a tour up the Alagnak (branch) river which is right off the Naknek and Kvichak rivers. You would be up that way anyways if your were going to Katmai. Brooks is nice- just a pain to be so restricted with all of the rangers constantly yelling at you. Hell- at the right time of year all you gotta do is walk around Naknek alittle and you'd get all the pics you ever wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. huntersdad

Thanks guys. Going out with Dave Bachrach out of Homer for 4 days/3 nights of tundra roughing it. I guess when with the bears, do as they do.

6. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

http://www.mvsinglestar.com/

A friend of mine owns this boat and leases it out and does some of the booking for it. It is a high end operation.

7. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

Heck, come up in August and you can go to the Russian river by yourself and take all the bear pictures you want, up close and peronal, and it is actually pretty safe.