Lewis and Clark

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by pintail1005, Jun 29, 2017.

1. pintail1005

pintail1005 Refuge Member

Heard Corp. may be changing perm blinds rules on the lake. Anybody have any info?

2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

What did you hear? Are they going to eliminate them?

3. Koots1

Koots1 Senior Refuge Member

This has always been a sore subject with me. I have never been able to understand how on public water someone can have their own spot for the entire season. There have been so many games played over the years with the permanent blinds up there that it is a joke. Some groups will draw multiple blinds and then strategically place their so called blinds (that they never hunt) to knock down a large area for the season. When they do get out to hunt they pull into the area in their boat blind and keep that area all to themselves. In my opinion, all blinds should be removed daily from public water, it is that simple and it saves all the bs, plus no more abandoned blinds, fence posts and other debris left behind. I gave up on fighting this fight many years ago after numerous attempts.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Have heard the COE is re-evaluating policy on several of the reservoirs within their jurisdiction regarding blinds, winter habitat management, etc..

Seasonal, permanent day use blinds were dropped on one of the COE reservoirs here in NE Oklahoma ~15 years ago in favor of temporary blinds only. It alleviated the situation described in the OP. The primary problem created in it's wake was overnight "hole sitting", mainly by aggressive OOS'ers.

5. pintail1005

pintail1005 Refuge Member

Would be good if they eliminated them. Probably wont happen. I and other hunters have had ugly issues every year with blind hunters. They show up 10 minutes minutes before shooting hours due silly 30 minute after sunrise rule. Other hunters already set up for over hour. Screws up hunting for everybody else. Claim the area is theirs because they have a permanent blind and we need to move 300 yards away from them, (not true per rules). They feel if they have a blind they own and have the right to hunt that spot/area over everybody else. Few other guys I know almost got into a fish fight at a spot because they would not leave when the blind hunters told them to. Somebody will eventually get hurt. First come first serv. Get up early and get to your spot. Most guys will respect if you beat them to a spot.

6. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

I've never hunted waterfowl with this type of situation, but deer hunting in Minnesota can be very similar. There, some guys have virtual houses (heated, camo, with furniture) in the trees that they use from year to year.
    The last time I hunted on public (non-WPA) land there, I was still-hunting on a fresh track when someone shot into the ground about 10 feet behind me. 150 yards away, well hidden up in the trees, there was a blind that I couldn't see until I was really looking for where the shot came from.
    "This is OUR spot! Get out!" came from the blind.
    I didn't argue with what was probably .30 caliber slugs.

7. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

I just read the regulations that were put out in July, looks like changes were made

8. Koots1

Koots1 Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't seem any different. 30 permanent blinds allowed on the lower portion below Santee and unlimited blinds upriver from there. The Corps may generate $1,000 in total revenue tops from blind applications, a drop in the bucket compared to millions of dollars in damage they caused with the 2011 flood. I will say it again, it is absolute bs that anyone can have their own spot on public water.

9. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Although I too do not think it is right for the permanent blinds, I believe there can only be permanent blinds below Santee by permit only.

10. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

It said new for 2017 sonething like blind owner must be there one hour before legal shooting or anyone can hunt it, or something along those lines, sounds like trouble waiting to happen