Lewis and Clark

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by pintail1005, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

I know what the law states, but first hand experience, that's not how it works. A few years ago, we set up about a 100 yards downriver of an empty blind. The blind "owner" came out at 8 am and wasn't nice about anything. He parked his boat about 25 yards from us and shot at us a couple times as we were picking up. He did get reported to the law, from what I understood he was a known "troublemaker", but nothing was done about it.

2. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Like I said I just saw the new for 2017, it does seem like a bad deal just waiting for something to happen, and let's hope they figure something out before someone gets hurt or worse

3. pintail1005

pintail1005 Refuge Member

The Corp. dropped the number of blinds in half from 16 in Unit 1A and 16 in 1B to 8 in both units, total 16. They also changed the time the blind owner has to be in the blind to 1 hour before shooting hours. This may or may not help, at least the Corp. is attempting to make some changes. We have had issues every year for the past 5 just like Keith S.. and we let the corp. know just like some other guys were doing. So if you have issues let them know, it seems to help. The more they hear, the better chance they will have to act.

4. SDDRAKE

SDDRAKE Refuge Member

The permanent blinds were there long before the boat blind started coming . It was not until Bernie Calef starter making his videos that the boat blinds arrived . So give us a little break. You will find out as you get older that it is not so much fun to drive the shoots in the middle of the night to get a spot , when we use to be able to run it when it got light enough to see . But now that all changed. Last year we showed up to our permanent blind 1 hour before sunrise and had a boat blind setting 10 feet from our permanent blind . They never moved all day. We never bitched to the Corp about it , just made a day of it . We use to go out at 4:00 am in our boat blind to get our spot early , just to have one or two boat blinds set up right next to us . Now we just wait until it gets light enough to see and go out and set up where ever we want. Then throw out about 400 decoys and the rest of the boats can watch the show .

5. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

since we started hunting out of a boat blind we almost always wait till daylight, you may miss a little shooting at legal but seeing exactly where ur going and what your doing more than makes up for it

6. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

Being able to apply for a chance at a spot each year sounds like a dream to me. Out here guys can keep blinds in perpetuity as long as they don't let their license renewal lapse by a certain date each year. Keep them locked up for generations. These are spots in major waterways that are considered public in riparian terms.

Ed Camenzind likes this.