life jacket law

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Flyway Forum' started by NOLUCK, Aug 4, 2017.

1. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I am an Ohio resident and hunt mostly western Pennsylvania. I do more layout hunting than shore hunting and have a question about the life jacket law. The legal definition of a boat is a floating means of transportation on the PA watercraft web site also in Ohio and in the dictionary. A layout being is a floating means of concealment not transportation if it was, it would necessary to put as in my case OH numbers on it. A layout is not specified in the written law like a kayak or canoe or BOAT UNDER 16 feet that would mean layouts are not included.

2. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Since your in a lay out it still has the possibility to being propelled by wind, manually, or by motor. I'm pretty sure that in Pa that would be considered a "watercraft"! so I would think that a life preserve would be required. With the newer self inflating preservers you could wear one and not interfere with your shooting. It's better to be safe than sorry.

In my younger days I never wore a life preserver when duck hunting until I tipped a boat over in 50 degree water. It was at anchor and I was hunting and reached over to get a decoy that was just out of reach and tipped the boat over. I don't set foot in a boat or canoe without one on now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. JCK248

JCK248 New Member

I know this thread is a bit old but this is from the U.S. Coastguard.

Vessel Determinations

On occasion, State law enforcement agencies, manufacturers or other interested parties will ask the Coast Guard what laws and regulations apply to a particular device being used, or considered for use, on the water. The Coast Guard's first step is to determine whether or not the particular device in question is a "vessel". The process begins with the definition of the word vessel found in 1 USC 3, which is: "The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water."

The following have been determined to be vessels by the Coast Guard.
    • Gold Dredges
    • Paddleboard
    • Argo-Amphibious ATV
    • Kiteboard
    • Float Tubes
    I would think since a layout "could" be manually propelled it would make it capable as a means of transportation. I wear one just to help my odds if I would take a spill sometime. Sometimes getting into and out of these things is not so easy.

4. NOLUCK

Always wear one one the transfer anytime of the season. We also put the gun in the box and shells so the only thing we do is transfer the person nothing else to think about any time of the season.

5. NOLUCK

We always have guns in floating gun cases too.