Light bar...

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by olepal, Jun 29, 2017.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Just acquited a 30" single row light bar. I plan to mount it to my front grill guard. The only ID on it is:

KAP LBAR32180A - TF

Don't know for sure how many watts or amps. Curious as to whether to use a switch & fuse holder and connect the power straight to the battery or use a 12v relay.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

LEDs that I have seen are mostly 3 watt each so a 3" single row would be around 90 watts depending on how many emitters it has.

However, that part number looks like it might identify a 32" light bar that is 180 watts by the 32180 in the number, which would be a 2 row light bar. Just a guess on what the numbers mean though.

Either way, you'll need a relay, switch and wire large enough for the power draw. I would just buy a kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-12ft-Wiring-Harness-Light/dp/B00HNLN8XK

There are tons of different ones on amazon.

3. olepal

Thanks - I also am thinking of one of the kits that keeps all four headlights on when I turn on my brights. I saw on on YouTube that has a switch to turn the light bar on so that it comes on when you turn on brights.

4. darkvibe

Check your laws if you're thinking of using it on the road, no idea about TX but here that would be illegal to use on the road. Of course, everything is illegal in NY State.

I've turned it on when on the back roads just to see how bright it really is. It's way brighter than needed. Plus it reflects off signs and basically blinds you.

high beams
    [​IMG]

light bar and headlights (i think low beam headlights but I forget)
    [​IMG]

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

A relay is nothing more than a very heavy-duty electro-mechanical ON-OFF switch.
    You'd need a relay only when you don't otherwise have an ON-OFF switch that can handle the load amps.
    Use a heavy-enough switch and you can omit the relay.
    If you go with a relay, be sure to buy a good quality unit. (not the $4.99 relays from your FLAP dealer) Cheap relays can have a nasty tendency to stick ON, with obvious results. I speak from sad experience.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    tcc and olepal like this.
  6. olepal

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. When I bought my truck there were two old-style round lights on the front bumper. There is a switch on the dash that controlled them. It should do the trick, I think.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

8. olepal

9. darkvibe

That's basically what I have. 2 row 180w 30 inch. Mine is behind my grille so some light is blocked but you get the idea of output from my photos.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Please don't. Oncoming drivers everywhere will thank you.