Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Lightweight marsh boats

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by smallmunster, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

I live in Minnesota so not far from you. Two ideas that come to mind are (i assume you are looking for a used boat)

1. Grumman sport boat. Might be hard to find and they can be expensive.

2. A used 17-18 ft kevlar canoe. This is what I use often. It is surprisingly good specially if you stand outside the boat to shoot, and can travel any kinds of water well. I didnt plan to use one but tried it after i met someone who did it and really liked it. I am using my regular duck boat a lot less because of this option, and really like it.

A third option that was mentioned was for you to build your own boat. There are lots of designs out there for free. Chesapeake boat has plans, as do others. I find it hard to row a boat in wild rice lakes and through reeds thus the canoe.

If interested in canoes check out mncanoe.org. it will give you some background.

Hope this helps. Regards

gadwall52 likes this.
  2. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

As far as a lightweight boat with lots of carrying capacity, it is going to be hard to beat a canoe like a Sportspal or a Golden Hawk. Most guys who have either, won't sell them. They are light and very stable.

Carstens make a model bigger than the Pintail, I think it is the Mallard, but it is heavier that #70.

Have you considered a pair of plastic 10' Aqua Pods and a small trailer to haul them? 2 fit nicely inside a 10' cargo trailer and allow plenty of room for other gear.

3. smallmunster

smallmunster Refuge Member

I am leaning towards trying a sportspal canoe and see if I like it. There is a radisson a couple hours from me that I may go look at. It is 16' which is larger than I was wanting and I would have preferred the Meyers version, but it is a fraction of the cost of a new one and will give me an idea if I like it or not.

4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you want a real marsh type duckboat that 2 guys can actually hunt & shoot out of,
    then punch in Carsten's duckboats. Their MALLARD model will be stable enough to hunt 2 guys, with their dog.
    Made here in Minnie, I've hunted with a variety of boats for many decades.

Ringbill

5. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

I too wanted a lightweight boat that was extremely stable, that I could take my grandchildren fishing in, double as a layout boat and be able to load and unload in the bed of my pickup by myself. I built this 12’x4’ 75 pounder last year. I also built a motor mount to run with an electric or small gas motor. Meets all my requirements and exceeds all my expectations.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Gheenoe,s are great little boats, very stable compared to conventional canoe but not light. I,ve owned a 15 classic for several years and like it a lot but wouldn,t want to drag it around out of water a lot. On the other hand I run it with an 8hp merc and it will hit about 18 mph with just myself and 80lb. lab. Weights compares to 12 x36 jon boat.

8. smallmunster

smallmunster Refuge Member

I have looked at the carstens and would be very interested except the weight is 100 lbs. Adding 30 or 40 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you are dragging it through the grass to a pothole. I have no idea how to build a boat and most of the homemade ones seem heavier than the other options, granted they are cheaper. Thanks for the info guys!

9. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Aquapod use to make a Kevlar model. I don't see it on their website anymore. Was way expensive anyways.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I agree with the canoe idea. Not a marsh boat or layout boat, but would be fairly light, carry a load well, paddle easily, and if a square back could be used with a small outboard or trolling motor easily. I've got a Grumman square back and a sport boat; the sport boat is awesome but I wouldn't want to be carrying it anywhere. That said you could rig up a wheeled cart for it. I think it'd be ideal for calm shallow water and a couple of guys. Old ones are hard to find and expensive but still well within your price range; you can still buy new but I think they're around $3k. They are a sweet little rig but not worth $3k imo. I think I paid $800 for mine off craigslist.

Dave in AZ likes this.