Lightweight marsh boats

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by smallmunster, Feb 21, 2018.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

A Sportspal 15 footer with a PPF mud motor would be a heck of a lightweight and portable option. You can take the motor on and off easily.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

What about a two person plastic Kayak. Local Walmart usually has 40 + assorted kayaks chained up outside the garden center. Most are $500 or less. I assume they are fairly lightweight and reasonable stable depending on the style.

3. E MAN

E MAN Refuge Member

I bought a 1236 Lowe jon. Cut the bench out. Put a 6.5 mud motor on. Love it. Stable. Light. Hauls 2 easy. I Lay in the bottom and use as a layout. I gave $600 for near new boat and trailer. Friend has a momarsh I hunt next to. Mine sticks up a little more but not bad for the $.

4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I say push the weight to 120 lbs and hit the gym....... the potholes can usually be over your head in many spots..... you are living on the edge putting 500 lbs into a 550 capacity boat!!!!!!!.... you should be able to curl 70 lbs.... why such a light limit?..... I converted a few sailboats to marsh boats.... one was 175 lbs... sure it was a bear to drag 200 yards... but putting a 100- 120 lb boat on top of your car should be a breeze.... the commercially made boats are really nice and super light for their capacity.... i wonder if that 70 lb boat has flotation foam?......imagine rolling a boat 200 yards from shore in a pothole in 20 degree weather and the boat gives you zero support........basically...dont live right on the edge!

5. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

If you are still looking google Wavewalk. I hunt out of the W700 and the S4 might even be a better situation.

6. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

not to highjack the thread but E man do you have any pictures of your set up? I've thought about doing the same thing just about every time I see a small jon pop up on craigslist, interested in how you set it up and how it hides.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Alumacraft Ducker...... Wet dream material.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. E MAN

E MAN Refuge Member

095F9567-6006-46D1-86FB-5AD25CA208F9.jpeg 2E29F39A-5B32-45E2-B819-FD7A20AE13F6.jpeg
    Pics aren’t very good. Front flips for storage. Built layout doors out of what I had laying around. Standup bar a must. Front led lite bar. Switch on standup bar. Bought motor kit from beaver dam mud runners . I think it runs 15+mph. Stable and comfortable to run.

Fowl-Action likes this.
  9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/pointed_canoes.htm

16' Canoe is 38" wide, has sponsons on the sides, weighs 58 lbs., and has a 1000# capacity rating. It is hard to find anything of similar size that will haul the weight that a displacement hull canoe will haul.

10. Kirk Andriano

Kirk Andriano New Member

Hi smallmunsterl

I had the same problem last year with an older brother who has mobility issues. I have paddled a Hoefgen and found the curve bottom to not be as stable as the flat bottom a Hellbender, if you want to stand and push pole. I ended up getting a 12 ft Hellbender. I added 2 seats from Carsten's that I screwed into the gunnel to keep them from sliding when getting in or out. My brother I hunt with 4 doz. Deeks Rubber Decoys, 2 five-gallon buckets, paddle, push-pole, guns and marsh seats. We have paddled the rig up to 3 miles with out much effort.

Regards,
    Kirk

IMG_0692.jpg