Lineing drill question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckbuster5901, Jul 19, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

When training on running lines w/ 3 bumpers placed in series 6.5 month choc. lab female sometimes overruns 2nd bumper to get to 3rd. Shes definitely seeing it but just seems to be moving so fast she doesn,t stop. On way back she,ll slow down approaching that 2nd bumper and I,ll give her hold command and recall whistle and she continues in w/ bumper she was carrying. I thought spaceing bumpers about 30 yds. apart might stop issue but doesn,t seem to be doing it. My question is should I stop this before it develops into a problem that I can,t presently forsee.When she returns w that 3rd bumper I ,ve been sending her after 2nd bumper w no problem She never overruns first bumper to get to second and I,m trying to extend out her casts w this drill.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

No professional here but what is going to be asked is training program and where dog is at and at 6 months full formal obedience is doubtful. My guess is dog is not force fetched and thus you are using no pressure or correction. Did you do a walking fetch with dog on lead first time or two and then do on short sets with long lead to be able to control and establish how dog is to run the drill, 1st, 2nd then 3rd bumper and stop her if over runs a bumper. There is no consequence to not picking up the 2nd bumper so why should dog care, you are not in control, the dog is making the decisions.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Alter the "pattern".....for awhile.....only put two bumpers out. After she does those well, move them both farther out.

Another thing you can do is to place all the bumpers in a pile and simply move back a bit after each send.

4. duckbuster5901

Thanks, Been afraid to nick her for correction while retriveing as she shut down once on a r.h. cast when nicked on failure to pick up. Other than this little issue shes been doing better every session. Just wasn,t sure if it was something to be overly concerned about in a hunting situation.

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Yes something to be concerned about in hunting situation as you want her picking up the bird - especially a cripple you send her on versus grabbing a dead duck somewhere else.

Personally don't think drill you are running is a good drill for lining. This drill is really I think part of force fetch. Eliminating the 3rd bumper, what happens if dog overruns second and keeps going looking for another.

I use a white stake when working on lining drill. Allows me to make sure dog is running a straight line and if not, she is recalled and trys again. A pile is better for lining drills and as get proficient keep moving pile back. You are trying to build her confidence in that if she follows your direction something fun is at the end of the line and then the transition to handling is easier.

The problem with an ecollar is dog has to know they are doing something wrong and can eliminate the pressure. Example if dog overruns the second bumper and you blow sit whistle and dog does not sit, a nick with another whistle should result in a sitting dog. An E-collar is really just a long leash but in but by itself it can't teach a dog anything. Failure to pickup again is something force fetch should clean up.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

At 6 months of age -- and not yet Force Fetched, I certainly would not be doing ladder drills or any other lining drills.
    And as has already been asked, what training program are you following ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  7. duckbuster5901

Problem solved ( I think). Session tonite 2 bumpers out inline 1st about 75 yds out , 2nd at about 150. No problem.

8. duckbuster5901

Shes finished force fetched. Handles on Left, Right & back casts. Just developed this quirk when I switched to 3 bumpers in row. Switched to 2 tonite spaced a lot farther apart and issue stoped. We,ll move on from there .

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

"Been afraid to nick her for correction while retrieving as she shut down once on a r.h. cast when nicked on failure to pick
    up.

It is a good thing to make "notes" like that. More often than not, the idea that using the collar to correct a mistake is not a
    wise choice with a pup that has not acquired all the skills. It appears that you have a "smart pup" with natural talent. Have fun! :yes

10. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

No kidding ! Finished FF and is taking casts at 6.5 months !
    I'd still like to know what training program you are following.