Lineing drill question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckbuster5901, Jul 19, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Haven,t really stuck to one program but have took bits and pieces from several. In my humble opinion they all end up to same th ing with slightly different approachs.Understand I,m training a personal gundog not one that's going to be running trials. She is very quick to learn but will also try to hoodwink you if she gets the chance. Totally different personality than either of my gundogs from past years.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Have you done "Fetch -- No fetch" both on and off lead ?

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

duckbuster5901 said:
    She's finished force fetched.

Doc E asked:
    Have you done "Fetch -- No fetch" both on and off lead?

I am fairly certain that none of my retrievers were ever taught "no fetch". :h

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Not familiar with that terminology but if it amounts to directing her to leave a bumper alone to continue on to another I haven,t. I see where it could be helpful in stopping her from picking up a dead bird and continueing on to a cripple. If that's the type training your talking about its something that will be incorporated .

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I teach 'fetch - no fetch' to all of my dogs. Lay out a ladder of 6 or 8 bumpers with only a yard or two between bumpers. Walk the dog along the ladder and the dog should only pick up a bumper when told to 'Fetch' and should leave the bumper alone if not commanded to pick it up or if told 'leave it".

While there is nothing wrong about taking a step back in training (sometimes), it seems to me that the advice you have been given (go back to two bumpers) is letting the dog control the session. Who is supposed to be training who ?
    Put out your ladder of three bumpers. When the dog gets to bumper 2, what's wrong about YOU taking control and commanding "Fetch" ?
    or when the dog gets to bumper 2, blow the sit whistle and command 'Fetch'.
    YOU are the boss, not the dog.

FWIW, I always teach 'fetch - no fetch' prior to doing any kind of lining drills. It gives you and the dog a foundation to build on. Kinda like teaching Hold before you go to Ear Pinch.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

It doesn't appear that you're listening to good advice so far. Whatever program you're following that compels you to do this level work with a 6 month old dog is badly flawed. Sounds like you have a nice dog to work with. I hope you'll slow down and gain some better knowledge...soon!

EvanG