Litter survival rate.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Rogue Hunter, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Sorry for the morbid question.

Just heard of a litter that had only one pup born live and thought that that would/should be pretty unusual.

Is it common to have a less than 100% survival rate. If common, how common is it to have a very low live birth rate?

Thanks

2. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

I would say it is pretty rare to have only one live pup in a litter although it does happen! A majority of the time, if the parents are reasonably young and if the mother is properly taken care of during gestation and the whelping process, you will have litters in the 5-10 pup range in labs. The largest litter that I ever raised had 13 pups and I did have a litter of 4 pups once. Most of the litters were 7-9 pups!! LL

3. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes a pup dies in utero for an unknown reason and it affects the litter either by demise or it slows the labor down and they don't make it. I've never had 1 live out of many dead but I have had 8 of 13 live, 5 of 8 and the pups appeared in different stages of demise. Mostly dead to me would indicate infection of some kind.

4. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I've been through only 2 litters. One was 9 and 8 survivors. The other was 10 and 9 survivors. Both were new mothers and both dead pups were the first born and no one in the room when pups started coming, so not sure if the mothers did not know to remove the sac.