LL Bean Cork Repair

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by rscholl, Feb 15, 2018.

1. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

I have an LL Bean cork goose with a broken tail. I have a large piece of the tail to glue on and then I will fill the cracked/missing areas.

My question is - should I burlap the entire decoy to strengthen it?

If anyone has any experience burlapping dark cork please let me know how it turned out.

Thanks!

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Steve Sanford over on duckboats.net probably a great source of info on your repair. Always posting on there about loads of corek herters he repairs/paints.

3. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

My friend is a professional decoy carver on the shore. I had him repair and "refresh" my LL Bean goose decoys last year and he used a mixture of cork dust and glue to fill in any of the voids in the aging cork. I believe he re-sealed them as well. Any broken tailboards were cut out and replaced.

Steve Sanford is an excellent source of info like duckbuster said. Here is a link to one of his tutorials http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=252449;search_string=bean;#252449

B2M

4. aka quackshot

aka quackshot Senior Refuge Member

Here is a picture of a couple of Cabelas cork decoys I repaired. The tail was broken off on one and the breast was broken
    off on the other. I squared the areas off on the bandsaw to get a good clean surface and doweled and epoxied on a new piece of black cork and re shaped. Mr Sanford was very helpful and also sold me a block of cork for the repair. herters cork repair.jpg