Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Loads for Africa...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by olepal, Apr 11, 2014.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

I routinely see references to the .375 variety of guns and I see the .416, .500, and .600. I seldom see the Winchester .458 mentioned. Is it just not a popular round for some reason?
    I going for animals short of elephant, what would you have with you?

olepal

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

When my son was in South Africa he said the 375 was the go to caliber. He actually used a rifle from the safari camp which was a CZ 375 Ammo availability seems best for the 375 as well.

Here is the kudu he shot with it.

[​IMG]

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

10-4 on the .375 load. I brought down a younger kudu bull with a 30-06 and that caliber was recommended for everything up to kudu size, the .375 thereafter. My wife is from South Africa and I have hunted there several times but nothing larger than kudu, I was bringing meat for the table mostly. I was loaned several Ruger No.1 rifles in 7x57 mm, .338, 30-06, and got a few of each of impala, warthog, blesbuck, kudu...there was plenty of game and incredibly, fine bird hunting: dove, duck, guineafowl, francolin, geese. I look forward to going back.

4. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

The above boys have it. 375 H&H its the go to round for Africa, mushers CZ is a tried and tested machine they are good dependable rifles if i was Africa bound it would be my number 1 choice without a doubt.

5. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

So what about Cape Buffalo or larger dangerous game? Just wanting to learn. Many years ago I read a book by Robert Roark called "Use Enough Gun".

olepal

6. musher

No expert of dangerous game but I watch Dark and Dangerous with Ivan Carter religiously :D

I believe the 375 is commonly used for Buff, crocs, Hippos, leopards and lions. I'm sure a lot of folks opt up a bit to a 416 min for elephant and even for the others as well.

Being able to handle the recoil, bullet choice and shot placement probably mean as much or more than caliber size.

Craig Boddington has probably written a lot on the subject of caliber choice on African game.

I've wanted to go to Africa since I was little fellow. Read a lot of Finn Agards and Peter Capstick books. Probably never going to make it, but I keep dreaming.

Best of luck on your hunt.

7. Glades Ranger

The very helpful guide let me try out his .416 Rigby rifle at the range, a side by side engraved beauty... a noticeable kick from that.
    olepal, I was told and saw for myself, that hunting prices (back in 2011 when we were there last) were much better in Namibia than in RSA. You might check it out. Namibia is a lovely country with large tracts of hunting land, to my eyes a more pristine area, affording more opportunities. There were areas very close to Windhoek, and of course far north the Caprivi strip offers some unique wild areas. The Windhoek draft beer was another attraction.:tu

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I too dream of an African hunt or two someday, but sadly i can not see it ever happening, a friend went over a few years ago now, shot a few kudu and zeberas and little deers. but never got near anything dagerous with a gun in his hand, was all abut money or his lack of it more to the point.
    A .375 H&H would be up to most tasks apart from perhaps eliphants. Even the big cats would be mince, if you lack a bit of confidence in the old 375 just up the anti a little and get a 378 weatherby now that should be ample gun for anything and has that degree of extra HP for added confidence.

9. Glades Ranger

I consider myself lucky because I don't have much money...I was teaching there and got to go with a local so I got local prices. Just like I really can't afford a private hunt here in the States, for a whitetail, mule deer, or pronghorn, or for that matter a half day hunt for quail in Georgia...I hunt public areas, thank God those exist. Everything over there is on private land so booking a hunt here is very expensive, although discounting the air fare, competitive for a big game hunt booked here at home. One thing that is attractive olepal, is the fact that for every 1$ USD, you get roughly 7-8 Rand in the Republic of South Africa. That is not common in most travel destinations from the States. I am also fortunate to have a place to stay with my wife's family that still resides there. The abundance of game there is incredible- you will shoot a number of species if you want to. I had in my sights a number of species that I could not afford: sable, buffalo, trophy kudu, bushbuck, nyala. My next goal is to stalk for a trophy kudu and/or gemsbok. My last hunt was in Limpopo province, northeast of Johannesburg, we were on a large game farm, basically had the place to ourselves. The guide indicated, and I heartily agreed, to not drive around but walk and stalk. The swirling wind conditions made it hard work but I got meat for the table with two fine impala and two warthog. Filled up my father-in-law's freezer, made plenty of biltong, and had a heck of a good time. The bonus of leaving the hot summer here in June, July, or August, is that it is wintertime down there and the weather is just fine- not too cold and daytime the sun warms everything up. Despite the political issues, poverty, crime, I never felt threatened and all were hospitable and the wine and local cuisine is very good. Like we in America, the Afrikaaners love to barbecue or braai as the call it. I felt at home. Only if you travel up north to the tropical regions do you have to be concerned about malaria and the like. I did suffer tick fever one time but there is Lyme disease in the U.S. which is more dangerous.:tu

10. musher

Glades you have had a great opportunity to experience Africa. My son was able to study abroad for a semester at the University of Pretoria in RSA and got to experience many of things you mentioned. He spent a month in Kruger National Park doing mapping and got to visit many villages. He said never once did he feel he was in a bad place. He said the people and food (including beer) were great. He got hooked on Veri Peri hot sauce and found a place to get it online once back home. He often speaks of biltong as being very good.
    He spent the last few days of his time at a safari camp in the Limpopo region and was absolutely impressed with the entire experience

I would go to RSA in a heart beat.