Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Loads for Africa...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by olepal, Apr 11, 2014.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Help me out guys. I am glad so many of you have enjoyed hunting the dark continent, etc., however, my original question is why I see so few references to the .458 Winchester on big game hunting forums.Is there a reason for that (ballistics, whatever)?

olepal

2. muddydog

muddydog Moderator

Capestick in several of his books refers to the .375 being the best penetrator of the African cartridges.

the .458 while huge in its own dimensions, I gather that when it came to penetration that cartridges such as the .416, .375 and others left blood trails on entrance and exit holes.

Penetration is king in African game if you read the books of the Masters.

the other reasoning is that the .375 is a gun/cartridge combo that most people can shoot reliably within the perimeters of recoil and capable of a much faster followup shot.

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I got to shoot a .458 as well at the camp range and that sucker punched you for sure. Two summers ago, while there, I read a book on hunting elephants, the author did it mostly in Mozambique, and primarily used the .375 caliber with great success. He was employed by the government and was providing food for locals. The guide that helped me on the last hunt was working for RSA in animal control and he used a .375 primarily for large game- elephant, buffalo, crocodile.

4. jamesd1187

jamesd1187 New Member

The .458 and I assume you are referring to Winchester Magnum as opposed to the .458 Lott, earned a reputation for bad pressure events happening due to the climate in Africa and its impact on the powders of the day. This led to poor extraction and all the other pressure issues that you can imagine. Also some of the bullets were less then ideal for heavy bone and muscle.
    Powder technologies have come a long way since then as have Bullets, but the .458's are playing catch up to the mystique and history attached to the .375 and .416 bore diameter, but while I haven't been to Africa yet I have a few friends who have been and 2 of them took .458 Winchester Magnums as their gun for the big stuff and had very positive experiences. Most PH's are more concerned with you being able to shoot accurately then exactly what rifle you bring from my conversations with PH's as I plan my own trip. As long as it meets the legal minimum.

5. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

There was a recent article in North American Hunter, whereas the author was used a 45/70 Marlin on Cape Buffalo with good results. He was using the penetrator ammo from Buffalo Bore.

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Thats interesting, i have to say i have never understood why the 45/70 was not more popular as an african gun, and the leaver gun gives the firepower if needed.

7. muddydog

muddydog Moderator

I'll tell you..
    Marlins will jam on occasion. called the "Marlin Jam". I've only seen it a couple of times.

controlled round feeding and double rifles are the norm.

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Yes good point i can imagine they would/ could jam, although my 30/30 has not jammed yet on me. But i can see where especially on dangerous game a bolt or double barrel would be a worthwhile insurance to help against potential malfunction.

9. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I agree 100%

Knock down power is impressive and the 45/70 is a better long range round than some of the bigger bores.
    Winchester and Browning both make very nice lever guns chambered for it.
    I've got a new model 1886 and have never had trouble with it feeding or jamming even when fired fast. Mine will hold nine rounds and I would compare the recoil to a 12ga shotgun.

10. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

The .458 is an excellent dangerous game round. It is widely used thruout Africa. It is not a plains game round. A lot more plains game is taken than dangerous game, so the large caliber rounds do not get mentioned a lot. Nothing wrong with the .458 ballistics. A reliable round if you do your part.