Locked up for awhile...

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

With this Artic Blast - looks like any duck hunting will be either to the coast or a trip down south!
    Anyone out hunting??

2. Dogman

Dogman Moderator Moderator

Cold is doing a job on things for certain.Even still I've been preoccupied with my wife's health issues.She is scheduled for surgery in early Jan so we're hoping that finishes things up.Even if I do get out before the end I doubt I'd find any water,fresh or salt,that isn't locked up in ice.
    Go south young man.

3. mike-sid

mike-sid New Member

I'm heading to "the marsh" on Saturday. This will most likely be my last puddle duck hunt this year, the rest will be diver hunts on the Long Island Sound, or a harbor off the Sound. Most of the inland water is locked up here in my part of CT. I did observe about 50 FAT mallards sitting on the shore of an open river, and a dozen broadbills swimming next to them through binoculars. Boy do I love hunting broadbills! I might even get one mounted this year.

Mr.Bones likes this.
  4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

some river are holding puddlers and geese... they raised the housy on Christmas eve and they pushed everything off.... but when it drops there will be birds. I think someone at the candlewood lake Authority realized the duck hunters like the water drops during the season and they have started to not drop the water level until after duck season ends... hopefully that ruins a few hundred expensive docks and the homeowners revolt!!!!!!! going try hitting the golden eyes tomorrow

Mr.Bones likes this.
  5. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Hunted for the past few days. Some good gadwall action, geese and blacks. Only one open ramp in this neck of the woods and the ramp itself is trashed. So everything is pretty much on foot. Lots of babysitting decoys to make sure they don't get stolen by ice. Lost a goose floater yesterday but not from lack of rescue effort. Flood tides make walking around pretty precarious. Sea smoke was THICK and made for good cover at first gunning.

Mr.Bones likes this.