Long Haired Dog

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by hopper33, Oct 4, 2017.

1. hopper33

hopper33 New Member

Hi all!

I have a Golden fresh from bird dog training. I understand cockle burs come with the territory, but I have a wife that really loves the dog's tail fur.

Any tricks, other than a really good coat of vasoline, for keeping cockleburs out of a dog's tail fur? A wrap would be good, although I don't know if any would stay on in a slough.

Thanks in advance, for any serious responses.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you were talking about dry uplands, I'd say Show Sheen, a horse product which is like clear graphite and sure helped with my setters and Britts, but it doesn't hold up well in water. There are, however, other horse products like Cowboy Magic that will make burr removal much easier.

3. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Hopper, I have had 3 Goldens and my 4th comes home from training next week. If you have a few cockle burs to deal with, then try the removal methods like Pam or whatever. Here in Ca the burrs have become amazingly prevelant. Every year before the season this is what I do. First, I stand the dog and trim most of the feathering off the tail. Hold it straight out and trim away nice and straight. The tail is easily the most problamatic area. If you have burs like we do and don't trim first, you will have a tail that looks like it was in a grinder when you get done wacking them out. Next trim the longer feathers off the rear and the sides of the belly and under the "arm" pits. A few years ago I bought a $35 trimmer and starting cutting the belly real short. 15 minutes tops for the whole procedure. This will solve most issues and any burs left come out easy or the dog will pull them out. To make your wife happy you may want to just pay a groomer to do it, probably 30 40 bucks. Now the part to make your wife happy. The feathers grow back amazingly fast. I assure you by the end of the season most will be back. Don't let the comments from the lab guys deter you, I could have married an ugly chick that cooked well but I married a pretty one that does:dv

4. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

I grew up hunting pheasants over springers in the Sac Valley. Preseason trimming was a ritual.

5. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Cowboy Magic as suggested, available at tractor supply.

6. hopper33

hopper33 New Member

Thank you everyone for the comments! Gonna try a few.