Long Line-Diver Line Pictures

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by fireduck, Jan 30, 2017.

1. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Here is a typical small setup with 100 decoys give or take. Handful of geese 50-60 yards downwind off the main rig.

[​IMG]

Spencer5100 likes this.
  2. EliteLIOutfitter

EliteLIOutfitter New Member Sponsor

Thanks, I've enjoyed looking at everyone's pics here myself.

Here's my rig from a shore hunt a few years back, when we actually had snow. . . (the dark birds in the middle are live broadbill that were just sleeping in the rig after we had our limit). One long line of about 2 dozen birds stretched way out perpendicular to the shoreline, with a hard wind blowing from our back but a light cross current here on our bay. A line of single goldeneye and a line of single cans I placed on either side with bunch of mixed broadbill, red heads and buffies at the head of the rig. You can see the birds came right to the pocket at the head of the rig, landing about 10 yards away from us. They'd sleep, the wind would blow them out, and they'd get up and come right back in. It was fun to watch.

[​IMG]

When I've hunted up in Buffalo on the Niagra river with a steady current flow, we ran the lines almost parallel to the shoreline. We ran two lines, in a very wide V, almost straight, bent into us in the middle. So the up current line slightly angled in, and the down current line slightly angled back out to the river, so we pulled birds into our range tolling up and down the river.

When we use the layout boat, we try to set the rig off to the side as well. It's typically easier for right handed shooters to shoot toward their left, so we set the layout on the left side of the rig, allowing the birds to come in to the rig and not be staring directly at the guys in the boat this way too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. EliteLIOutfitter

EliteLIOutfitter New Member Sponsor

Fireduck,

When we brant hunt, I will rig out a long line of about a dozen brant and another dozen or so singles at the head of the rig to make a "J" pattern. The birds dump right in, and I've taken geese over it as well. I am sure it would work for geese with goose decoys.

4. JD1107

JD1107 Senior Refuge Member

Few from this season. Usually run two lines, net rig and then a bunch of singles.

IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1810.JPG

Hunt n' Fish and Woody like this.
  5. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

This is from a hunt this fall on Lake Erie. It was pretty cool, started snowing about 9 am. We had a good outing that day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ringbill and Hunt n' Fish like this.
  6. Randy

Randy Senior Refuge Member

Have used 2/3 doz Clorox jugs (painted front and rear black) for years as fillers. Makes the spread very visible.

Ringbill and mmayes like this.
  7. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

This next year we will change the diver layout from time to time. We have received a lot of good information and pictures! Thanks everyone for sharing! fireduck (Kenny)

8. 1550FPS

1550FPS Senior Refuge Member

9. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

I have no pictures but on my long lines I put the first few very close then increase the distance as I go back. The lines are 150 feet long, first and last 20 are for anchor depth. The last decoy gets about 20 feet from the next to last.
    I put my best decoys in the front.
    I put a group of a dozen in front of the long lines and try to get them close together. I leave about 20 feet between the first ll and the last single.....that is my kill zone. I also use my best decoys in this front group.

10. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I have some more lines and clips for this coming year. Making some minor changes and painting some old decoys instead of buying more. On a diver strings do you mix up decoys much, or just one specie on a string. I do mix in singles up next to a solid line (like cans). This past year I don't think it would have made any difference they WANTED in!! Thanks fireduck (Kenny)