Long Line Rigs Ideas

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by 1/2 IRISH, Dec 31, 2016.

1. 1/2 IRISH

1/2 IRISH Refuge Member

I have been hunting big bay deep waters. Been trying out different ways to do long lines. I have used different kinds of hand spools, and contraptions to wind up the lines. I need a better way or a better device to wind the lines up. What are your ways of doing this, photos are good to show. Thanks for your ideas.

2. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

how deep is the water

3. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

A bike rim mounted vertically (upright like your pedaling) on a sheet of plywood that you turn to take up line would work. 30 inch rim would take in line really fast.

4. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Trotline winder might have to beef up your line images.jpg

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Extension cord reel from Home Depot.

6. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I leave mine connected to the main line and put each line in a slotted bag

7. EliteLIOutfitter

EliteLIOutfitter New Member Sponsor

This is what we use. Orange plastic reels. We have both types, one is just a spool you hold in the center, the other is a spool on a stand that you can wind in. We have individual long lines on the ones with the stands, and then extra lengths on the other spools in case we need to add an extra shot to a long line due to depth, etc.

This is the type with the stand.

[​IMG]

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Here's my three versions. The lightest and most simple is just two 1lb weights wrapped on a bow pull. I use this for putting out clipped decoys in very shallow water when I'm wading. Cheap and simple but useless in deep water.

The next is two 1.5lb weights wrapped on a frame made of 1.5" rigid pipe. I've got a stainless steel hook that I hook into the bottom of the first anchor then wrap lengthwise to the other anchor. I originally planned to put a second hook on a bunge but decided to just wrap the terminal anchor around one of the end pieces and let it hang. To deploy simply unwrap the terminal anchor, hold the frame on a long edge and let the anchor drop. The line will fall off of the frame. I used screws to hold the frame together and drilled a hole for the stainless steel hook. If I make another, I'll use pipe glue to keep the frame watertight and it'll float.

The heavy setup is 3lb anchors that fit perfectly inside of 3" ID pipe. I attached two sections of pipe side-by-side, one longer than the other. Then cut about 35 degrees out of the short pipe - small enough that the anchor won't come out of the side but when the line is wrapped around the body it'll hold the anchor in firm. I then took the piece I cut out and installed it inside. When the first anchor is inserted in the short, tube with the slit the ridge will keep the rig from turning when the top of the anchor is held. I make the first wrap or two vertically to hold the line then start wrapping horizontally until I reach the terminal anchor. I finish with another couple of vertical wraps to hold the line on the rig and put the terminal anchor in the long tube. To deploy, I just take the anchor out of the long tube unwrap the veritcal section, hold the head of the anchor in the slit tube and drop the first anchor pointing the bottom of the rig at the water.

Attached Files:

9. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

just pay the line into the bottom of the trash can and lay loosely on top to the can of attache decoys. If longer that ~15' then just wrap it around the last decoy. Again how deep is the water?

puddle-head likes this.
  10. puddle-head

puddle-head Senior Refuge Member

I don't remove birds at all from the long line. The anchor gets unclipped and the line is played right into the can or bag with the decoys going right in on top of it. The downwind anchor is unclipped and the loose line is played in on top of the decoys, with the clip attached to the handle. When we set out it takes a little finesse but not too much. Just follow the line and don't grab decoys...follow the line.