-Long lines-

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by duckkillerclyde, May 19, 2013.

1. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

Long lines;

I've been thinking about setting up my scoter decoys so they are not removable from the mainline. Reason for this is where I hunt, with the current, tide and wind, it can be very frustrating to get the decoys set sometimes.

I generally don't use a dog when hunting scoter.

Right now I use the Avery full body duck decoys bags and store two decoys per slot, or 24 decoys per bag. This makes for a very organized and space saving method. I store my long lines on electrical cord reels.

I hunt scoter anywhere from 15' to 45' of water. I was thinking of just making up some short 'anchor lines' to connect to the mainline.

My questions are;

What problems are associated with setting decoys out like this?
    How often do you tangle?
    Do you still use a drop even if you're not going to be using a dog?
    What kind, if any, swivel are you using?
    How/what kind of decoy bag are you using?

2. Tealer

Tealer Senior Refuge Member

I hunted with a guy over east that used cable cords and left them attached. I don't think it was any better. When it worked it was great but 2 out of 3 days it was a mess.

In the main steam, I float the line out the back of the boat. Motor them in place and drop them.

3. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

I use this set up.

The avery bags just like you. I only hunt in 20' of water so I feed the line into the bottom of the first slot then decoy face down second decoy same slot face upfeed line into the next slot and continue..... when I get to the last decoy I just drop the line onto the last decoy and clip this end to the bag. I keep the weights off of the lines while in the bags. The only time it tangles is when I'm useing black paints hotbuys and the tail curls catch on something. Or when people who don't listen to how "I do it" and leave cord all over the place.

The slot bags are very neat and how I like to rig, however I also use collapsable leaf bags when I'm running giant rigs or when its choppy and I use goose decoys painted like scoters

4. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

That doesn't work on a 20MPH wind going against tide.

5. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

Picture please. I've never heard of such a thing.

6. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

@pamungus;

are you using drops for dogs or letting the line sit atop the water?

7. Scauphunter

Scauphunter Senior Refuge Member

If you want to use a dog the drops are not going to do you much good in a heavy current or heavy water / windy conditions. The current and wind will pull the mainline to the surface due to the decoy drag.

If you are going to hunt without a dog I wouldn't bother with drop lines. I would still use LL clips and simply clip them stright to the mainline. You could also use a short dropper ( 3 to 4 inches ) and tie them all to the the mainline. Doing this means you only need to control the mainline / clip or very short piece of drop line. This will reduce your tangling issues dramatically.

Since I hunt with a dog. I double anchor both ends of my mainlines. That allows me to keep the mainline deep enough that the dog can swim through them without tangling. I plan to use 3.5' sections of 400 lb mono as droppers with long line cliped to my tarred mainline. I put a knot at the points on the long line where I want the decoys stay. This tells me where to clip them on and keeps them in place in heavy water or current.

I hunted out of tubs last year and will be hunting out of 12 slot bags this year. As mentioned above, the key is how organized you are when you load the bags. I played with the slotted bags last year and found a couple of ways that worked really well without tangling. It is all about making sure that you pull the decoys in and store them in an organized manner.

8. Major Woods

Major Woods Elite Refuge Member

We use 8 magnum decoys per line permeably attached to the long line. One the ends on the long lines are clips where we can attach the correct anchor lines according to the water depth hunted that day.
    Decoys assemblies are stored in garbage cans. Once deployed the garbage can are stacked inside one another and takes up very little room on my 20? boat.

1) Two guys deploy the long lines at the same time one on each side of the boat. I have on occasion run over a line with the motor, a couple minutes to untangle and reset.
    2) Once per year on average, not at all last year.
    3) 24? drop on the lines and we do not use a dog.
    4) Stainless steel medium swivel ordered from a commercial fishing seller.
    5) 30 gal plastic garbage can with locking top.

9. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

:tu:tu:tu:tu

10. pvogtlin

pvogtlin Refuge Member

I leave my decoys attached to long lines, and store them in totes. I rarely have tangles. So long as you only handle the mother line when putting decoys in the totes, and taking them out you will be just fine. If you start pulling on decoys you will have a mess every time. I use 3 foot drops, and have up to 20 decoys to a line.

What ever way you choose to go, do some playing around with it while the water is warm. I struggled for a couple years dealing with long lines in freezing temperatures in water that had ice forming. I finally took a few decoys out in the summer and worked out the kinks while my hands weren't numb. I would recommend trying things out with what ever gloves you wear while hunting as well, because this can really change your thoughts on what may or may not work.