Long range trouble

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Mar 6, 2014.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Our local newspaper is reporting that a rifle bullet broke a window and entered an occupied home, coming to rest next to a baby.
    As it turns out, our local police force snipers were doing some practice marksmanship on a privately owned farm over a mile away.
    The bullet has been recovered. The police said the bullet was almost 2 inches long.
    The rifles are being checked to determine which rifle fired the bullet.

The investigation proceeds. It might be that this has happened before as this isn't the first complaint in the residential area.

2. joe117

3. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

- County Commissioner Dan Morris

Great job, Dan.
    Great effort.
    Keep up the good work.

Moving on....

4. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

most departments i know only practice with their "big" guns at gun ranges... This would be why I'd say!

5. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

The news media is always quick to place blame, but most reporters haven't a clue about what they are reporting. Take this article for example:

http://fox13now.com/2012/08/21/blm-shuts-down-shooting-area-near-saratoga-springs/

Supposedly a stray bullet from a shooting range hit this lady's home, so the BLM shut down shooting. Problem solved, right? Well, the shooting range isn't 1/2 mile away like the article claimed: It's really 3 miles away and on the other side of a mountain! :rolleyes:

Even funnier is the fact that they didn't close shooting in the whole area, just in a select few areas close to the road. You only have to drive about 1/2 mile on a dirt road to get to past the closure area. But I guess the locals feel better when they can't see the shooters when they drive by. :doh

6. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

As if ending target shooting will solve wildfire issues? The article doesn't mention anything about the severity of the "20 fires in Utah". A "fire" is not necessarily a raging inferno. Might as well ban lightning strikes and all trash burning too. :rolleyes:

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

8. joe117

We don't have wildfires here in Southern Maryland.

9. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Was referring to.the UT aspect plus relating to the SoCal experience where wildfires happen frequently.

10. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

A lot of those are arson.

Right across the border is Mexico with the exact same hot/dry climate...and they don't have 1/10th the number of wildfires.