Long shots....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by D3Smartie, Oct 16, 2004.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

I want to make a statement and see what you guys think...
    I have been hearing a lot of guys talking about shots they take at deer or elk at 500-600 yards and even one at 700. To me that is just rediculous. Pronghorns out to 400 or so is understandable to me due to the terrain but shooting deer or elk in distances like that not right.
    Here is my statement....
    If you cant get within 300 yards of an animal then you arent hunting hard enough.

whatta ya think?

2. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

I don't think you're hunting in the mountains round here. Try to get that close to a big blacktail in the Olympics and you'll go home hungry.

3. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Senior Refuge Member

Considering most deer hunting cartridges drop considerably at 400+ this is unlikely. A .30-06 drops nearly 4.5 feet at 500 yards. These types of shots aren't impossible though, with the gun in the right shooters hands, a tactical scope, and a very steady rest. But for your everyday shooter, I would say anything past 300 yards is an unlikely shot.

4. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted in the open prairies of SD and ahve never taken a shot that far. I would rather go home hungry and stop by Taco Bell than risk losing an animal to unetical hunting practices.

5. bigshooter

bigshooter Senior Refuge Member

if you are not confident in those shots, don't take them....one day i hope to be proficient enough to confidently kill at long yardage. but until then i will only attempt what i am comfortable with.

so if someone that has put in the time, learned there gun and is confident at doing such things.....by all means, take the shot....for those who take the time to aquire the skills neccesary to do it, imo, truly believe, that a clean kill at long yardage is what makes the hunt.

some people like to stalk to within a arms reach of there prey, others enjoy the technical and precise placement of a long shot.

however, i am strongly opposed to people that think just because they own a high powered rifle they can just piont and shoot at 500 yards.

6. T Krueger

T Krueger Guest

Ihave been Elk hunting in colorado for 17 years and have become very proficient making shots at 500 plus yards, my longest was approx. 1350 yards. The weapon of choice is a 300 Weatherby Mag, 165 grain boat tail bullet. No one ever believes me untill I take them up there and show them. Good luck and good hunting.

7. westkybanded

westkybanded Elite Refuge Member

1350???!?! For god's sakes... Was it worth it? Are you an ex sniper or something? THa's frigggin incredible........

8. Doubletap

Doubletap Elite Refuge Member

Will, we have some guys here in central Ky. that actually set up their stands to shoot deer at 400 yds+, these guys have more money invested in rifles, scopes, bino's, and range finders than I have in my goose hunting set-up, saw one of them kill a doe last year, 1 shot, laser ranged at 912 yds, they seldom miss and if they do, the deer better not give them a second chance

9. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

I dont mean to offend anybody here but taking shots like that just seems plain stupid. Why would you risk it on a live animal. If they are just tring to show off a target will show you the same results.

10. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

I agree... :rolleyes: