Long shots....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by D3Smartie, Oct 16, 2004.

1. ghostman

ghostman Elite Refuge Member

Here is a simple way to decide your maximum effective shooting range, make your self several targets with a 5 in circle on it ,,, start at 100 yds and shoot three rounds if you put all three in it ,,go to 200 yds,, and so on ,,,, when you get to where you can not put all three rounds into the target ,,you just passed your "Maximum effective range"... you owe it to the quarry not to shoot past this point ... my suggestion would be get to know your rifle,, shoot many rounds through it , keep a log on all your shots and pick a match grade ammo, if your caliber makes it, and get a long range scope.... JMHO.... I dont mean to ruffle any azz hairs on here ,,

2. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

Hitman, that's a nice looking pup. Josie's at 195 retrieves so far in her first season. We're hunting Diver Pass in the morning, so she should break 200 by 0900 or so...
    I'm going to touch on the wind one more time. Wind doping is about equal parts art, science, and witchcraft. Guys, thought I would share this with you, just to illustrate the point . This morning I was doing some 200 & 300 yard shooting with my work rifle, a Remington 700VSLH in 308. I shoot the Black Hills 168 grain Match HP load, which, along with Federal Gold Match, is the standard by which all tactical ammo is judged. I had a 1/2 value wind of about 15MPH from 10-11 o'clock and light drizzle. At 200 yards, the hold off was 4-6 inches, and at 300, 8-10 inches (depending on gusts). Were my target a deer at 300 yards facing my left, I would have had to hold at the front of or off it's chest to hit the shoulder area. A shoulder hold would have drifted back to the liver or worse, the paunch. These are not particularly windy conditions in my neck of the woods, but extrapolate this hold off to 400+ yards, and you see how big a factor wind is in long range accuracy. Wind is huge! One more thing on the subject of wind. Don't make the mistake of only shooting on dead calm days. Once you are zero'ed, get out and shoot under varying wind, weather, amd light conditions. Don't take your computer program's word for the hold off (although they tend to be quite accurate), get out there and try it from behind the bolt. It will really open your eyes...