Longest shot.....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by BRUNO, Jul 29, 2001.

1. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

I know you hear alot of stories about various yardages that various people have taken various animals with various calibres of rifles....The longest shot I've taken (and about as far as I'm willing to reach out,and still be responsible for it) was just over 300 yards for a Caribou with my trusty 7MM.I've chatted with a gentleman that says he's taken a Big Horn Sheep at 600yrds with a .300.. What's the longest shot you've taken,successfully..(this should be good)

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: BRUNO ]

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

BRUNO

I'll sit back and watch with interest on this topic as well. Perhaps you should have added verified yardage but that would take some of the fun out of it.

For a 7mag 300 yards is a no brainer though.

3. Fred in MI

Fred in MI Guest

Mule deer doe at a measured 275 yards with a 6.5x55 Swede.

4. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

Yeah I didn't think I was pushing my luck @ 300 with the 7. This thread certainly wasn't meant to sound like I was bragging about a 300 yard shot by no means,au contraire, that's actually quite low as I'm sure we'll see!LOL!

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: BRUNO ]

5. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

You guys that can take these long shots are very fortunate. Living in East Tennessee where there is a hill, mountain, or a curve every 100 yards or so, a long shot does not present itself...

My longest shot came with believe it or not, a 50 Cal Knight Muzzleloader. The shot was around 175 yards on a nice doe in Middle Tennessee.

David

6. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

My longest shot had to be a 250 - 300 yard cross canyon shot at a mule deer. It was early in the morning without a trace of wind. I held the cross hairs on his top line and dropped the 180 grain .30-06 slug through both lungs.

7. featheredfriend

featheredfriend Elite Refuge Member

My longest shot was on a Caribou as well, 250 yds open site. But I did use a rock for a rest. One shot and it was 4 knuckles up.
    Knew one fella who took at moose at no less than 500 yds (guesstimate closer to 600)up in Johns Pond w/ a .300 mag. Saw the eveidence ourselves. I was impressed!

8. dukster

dukster Senior Refuge Member

My longest shot was with a Thomson Center 50cal. renegade, black powder, with iron sights, 125 yards, according to laser range finder.

9. DUCKBASTSRD

DUCKBASTSRD Refuge Member

I have taken some incredibly long shots on prarie dogs and other varmits with my 243 my longest kill shot was across a canyon on the breaks of the columbia river at a mule dear I don't know how far it was I just bought a range finder and will know exactly how far it was in about 3 months If I had to guess I would say 450 yds
    (DISCLAIMER I MADE THIS SHOT OVER 10 YEARS AGO AND WOULD NEVER TRY SUCH A SHOT AGAIN . I FEAL THIS WAS A SHOT OF A SLOB HUNTER I DON'T KNOW THAT PERSON ANY MORE)

10. Teacher's Pit

Teacher's Pit Elite Refuge Member

325 yrds .270, 130 btsp, neck, instant death!