Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Longest shot.....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by BRUNO, Jul 29, 2001.

1. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

I was with my Father once who was guiding a gentleman from...away we'll say. Bull Moose, 400+ yards, high wind and rain, and .243 cal. Dad suggested he not shoot, he told Dad to go to he** and shot...I'll never forget seeing that majestic animal run off at full bore with his jaw smashed to bits and his tongue hanging down like a necktie...I was maybe 8 years old and I still remember it like it was yesterday.A sickening sight. my Dad and I humped *** for days trying to find that animal and put him out of his misery, but no luck. Know your rifle inside and out,know your animals (specifically the kill zones), and know your limitations ! Just something to consider for all those young aspiring snipers out there.

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: BRUNO ]

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: BRUNO ]

2. take-em

take-em Guest

my longest shoot ive ever taken well thats easy maybe 50 yards its a little to brushy up here to take long shots

3. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Bruno--did I read that right? Moose with a .243? Isn't that a little light even at close range?

This thread isn't producing the outlandish ranges that I expected. Hmmm, that's good I guess.

Yes, I live in an area where we can in circumstances, stretch our barrel and reach out and touch 'em. My wife has shot my 30-06 twice in her life and killed two bucks. One was at 25 yards and the other at 285. Out to 300 there should not be any problems with an ought six if the range is known and the rifle is properly sighted in. A blind with a rest only leaves shooter error as the unknown factor.

4. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

40 yards, 12 ga 3 inch remington slugger, white tail.

5. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

lwingwatcher ,
    Yeah you read it right,that guy was a YAHOO!...a .243 would be the smallest i'd use for Caribou at close range let alone a big bull Moose. The problem is you get some knucklehead put a scope on a small rifle,and regardless of the yardage, wind,or current weather conditions puts the crosshairs where he wants the shot to go. Absolutely no knowledge of trajectory,the effect of wind or efficient kill zones, so the shot ends up in the hump, hind quarter, or even worse the gut.
    Believe it or not, other than the trusty .303 here in Newfoundland the next most common rifle people use is the 30-30. That's right!!You wouldn't believe how many of our animals are crippled or suffer horrible deaths because some idiot is using a piece of CRAP that doesn't fit the task at hand.
    I'm a little suprised with the yardages as well, it's good to see everyone's on the same wavelength RE: Responsible and ethical hunting practices.
    Yeah that 30-06 can certainly get out there that's for sure. My Uncle has one and has made some formidable shots with it.

6. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    A little less than 100 yards. It was my first buck and I shot it running through a cut cornfield. This Buck believe it or not was within 15 yards of me at one time and I missed it! It jumped the fence line and I aimed down on it and rolled it before it could make it to the tree line.

Here in my part of Kentucky long shots are very few. The hills and woods are numerous.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: kywaterfowler ]

7. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

The Laser range-finder put last years deer at 312 yards. I don't like to shoot that far,but it was the last day of my hunt and I did practice a lot before the season. Put Bambie right down. Love those cheap Remington Express Loads. 30/06 165 grain PSP.

8. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

mine was about 125 yards with a 30-06. I personally watched my dad kill a doe at 512 yards with his 300 ultra mag topped with a luepold 4-16x50 scope. right through the boiler room. Many say it was a lucky shot but I always tell them luck didnt pull the trigger!

9. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Too many pine trees here in East Texas for many long shots. My longest was probably about 85 yards. My 25.06 will go much further but I'm only comfortable with shots up to around 200 yards. We owe the animals a fast, humane kill.