Longest time between oil changes

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I have this weird auto allowance that requires me to have a newer vehicle. It cannot be more than 2 model years old.

My Silverado is smoking like crazy on start up. I add oil but do not want to spend money on oil changes that will not benefit me. I put on about 25k miles a year. At 75k the truck will be traded in.

I figure one change a year would get me by.

At what mileage would a engine fail because of no oil change?

J.SCOTT likes this.
  2. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Depends on who answers your prayers :dv

3. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Depends, but I always go by what the F150 oil monitor computer says which is around 10,000 miles

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I change every 5k whether it needs it or not, along with tire rotation. Have went 15k on the Mobil1, with no adverse effects. If you are adding oil often (quart a week or two), I'd just keep running it and change the filter every 6 months. Oil changes shouldn't be more than $50, if you do it yourself. Cheaper if you run cheap oil. If it's using and smoking, I'd buy the cheapest I could find and change it. At 75k, if it is smoking, it sounds like you have missed quite a few oil changes already.

5. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I've got an '06 Ram with 4.7L and 180,000 miles this week. I've been changing the oil and filter every 15-20K miles, since new. I run mobile 1 full synthetic 10w20. No smoke, no oil consumption, no noises. 20mpg.

I've got nearly 100K miles towing boats in the Appalachian Mountains on this truck as well.

6. uglymud

uglymud Refuge Member

Every 3 or 5000 miles. With good old castrol 10w 30. Hope y'all know most oil filters are only good for 5000 miles.

widgeon likes this.
  7. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I heard of Ford EcoBoost's causing the same smoke start-up issue...

Does your Silverado have the Active Fuel Management option? If so - see if you can turn it off and then see if it stops smoking at startup...

8. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

Went a couple of years between oil changes a few times with my 2000 Olds Alero "Extreme". It had a minor oil leak, so I'd fill with the cheapest stuff I could find when the oil light came one and then just let nature take its course. Finally let the car die at about 260K when I decided not to fix the water pump and let it basically explode from overheating. On the bright side, I got $300 for scrapping it, more than it was worth on KBB. I miss that car!

9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

Same with my Canyon and wife's Acadia.. We both usually get about 9 months out of it.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

My Ford F150, 5.0 V8 came with an extended service plan which included 7,500 mile changes with synthetic blend oil. That is absolutely the longest miles I feel comfortable with.
    When the service plan is over, I will change @ 5,000 with full synthetic. I plan to keep the truck a long time.
    On engines with turbo's I would not go longer that 5,000 and run full synthetic.