Longest time between oil changes

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

When they freeze those fields are like driving on big boulders just like the commercials. No open coffee cups allowed!

pintail2222 likes this.
  2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

ok, so you 'earned the truck' so your company gives you a new truck every 3 years & $900 a month truck allowance. Your values are different than a lot of us & it's your choice, tho IMO a very poor & inconsiderate one.
    Tell us this---if some higher person in charge of operations with your company knew that you were 'pocketing' truck allowance because you weren't having routine maintenance done on THEIR truck, what do you think he would be saying to you? How about beating & other truck use?
    Just an off the wall, whatever I want to do attitude?

Ringbill

3. Lip Shooter

Truck is titled in my name. They don't care or ask.

Nothing anywhere from my work on maintenance. Why would you make that up?

Simply get the truck get the allowance.

I am 100% guilty of having a do what ever I want attitude. Is that what you have a problem with? I call it living.

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Oil should be changed based on fuel consumed. A truck driving on the open hiway towing nothing can probably go twice as many miles as a truck sitting in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.

The same can be considered on two 3/4 ton diesel trucks, one towing a 5th wheel one not, who needs a more frequent oil change.

Google Blackstone Labs

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My mower and generator manuals both stated not to use synthetic. Might wanna check into that before we have a thread about your mower blowing oil out of it.

And only 24K in 3 years??? I drive that in 6 months, and I don't work from my vehicle. Do you work from home?

Change your oil man. It won't hurt anything. You get $900/month. Most of us get nothing, and we change ours regularly. Going a few K over is one thing, refusing to change it so you can pocket free money given to you to do maintenance on the vehicle is completely stupid.

6. Lip Shooter

Will do on checking the mower manual on synthetic, thanks for the input.

Yes I work from home, but travel often (plane) around the US for my job.

I respectfully disagree with you that "keeping free money is stupid" Difference of opinion I guess.

7. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Don't most commercial lease agreements require some minimal level of maintenance ?

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

So on your next vehicle (or this one, if it happens before you trade it in), if the engine blows, what will you do? If you only drive a vehicle 24K in 3 years (according to your previous post), that's about $133/year in oil changes, if you do them yourself. I don't see how it's worth risking engine failure. At least change the filter. This isn't rocket science.

9. Lip Shooter

Good point and your exact concern is why I posted this thread. How far can I push it without a worry of hatching the motor. 24k was the lowest in three years highest was around 75k.

10. Lip Shooter

I believe so. I do not lease, as stated before I buy the truck in my name.