Longest time between oil changes

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Mar 11, 2016.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Why deliberately abuse/neglect a mechanical device and try to rationalize the basis for such behavior?

Tuleman and tcc like this.
  2. Duckfiend

Duckfiend Senior Refuge Member

According to this thread he wants to pocket an extra $133 and roll the dice on a ~5k engine for a couple of years. What disturbs me is what about the next guy? He will be a person most likely of less means that will ultimately pay for all this. All to save a person of most likely much great means $133. Obviously the OP does not even remotely believe in Karma or any thing the sort. One way to look at is that this is a reason you might not get top dollar on your next trade in. If this becomes the norm it will drive used truck prices down eventually. I check for this type of abuse on used vehicles by looking in the oil on the dip stick and running my finger inside the oil cap hole in the valve cover and then check you finger for sludge. If any is present, run. Same applies to women.

3. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

So after one runs the same oil for about 25-30k miles it gets really really watery and burns like crazy. Truck started smoking on start up really bad, neighbor came over once and asked what the problem was, I just said it just needed an oil change.

Sure enough changed the oil and the smoking is 100% gone. I may not have this one for another 25k but if I do should be neat to see if it starts smoking earlier or later than this last round.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Ok.

tcc likes this.
  5. Duckfiend

Duckfiend Senior Refuge Member

Whats the VIN number on that truck? Maybe we can do the world a favor with the first refuge truck abuse alert for all new perspective buyers.

tcc and stevena198301 like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The life of an oil filter depends on how much junk your engine is putting into it. If your engine is experiencing no wear, a filter should be good for......almost indefinitely. If your engine is wearing down it's bearing, pistons, rings, etc. at a high rate, then a filter might become clogged in a couple hundred miles. If your engine sends a rod through the side of the block, the filter may become full of junk in about two seconds.
    Change at the manufacturer's recommended intervals and you won't go wrong.

7. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Engine has to have good, Clean oil ~ I think I'll start a thread ```

Frantz Oil Filther

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Dad had those on his vehicles back in the 60's

9. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Hi ~ so did I ~ we have a small spread in NV as well ```