Longlines and clear water Question

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Floridaboy, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

If you hunted in water that was mostly clear to about 4 feet how long would you make your droppers on your decoys?

I hunted over the weekend with a guy that had his about a foot long and the bluebills seemed to flare a lot as they prepared to land.

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure about the diver 'pro's' on here, but I've run all mine 5-6 foot long. So far, it doesn't flare them being that deep. If it's shallow, I have a lot of mushrooms rigged with 'loops' to clamp the LL clips in for single drop rigging. I use a dog, so the long drops with thick (3/16-1/4") tarred line or tanglefree keeps any hassles down with him. Of course, I only use him when hunting from the bank or tender where I could get to him quickly. I try to single drop several decoys in the 'landing' area anyway...they buzz the line so fast on the way in, I'm not sure they see a lot of detail at all, anyway. I do have a dozen diver dekes rigged on WL decoy Spreaders, which work good also, and have not flared anything yet. I think that if they can see my clips in 5-6' of clear water, it's deep enough not to bother them, but that's all just my theories on it. I'm just a puddle hunter who dabbles in the dark side quite frequently.;)

3. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

parts of long isalnd sound were I hunt has water clarity clear enough to see 7 feet down!.....but the construction of the bottom or vegetation will camoflouge anything in the water, unless its pure sand......the diver will never see into the water......they arent looking into the water... things in the water probably wont scare them, the mere fact they see buddies on the water is reassurance to them things are ok..........puddlers like black , mallards and widgeon that circle over head , round and round , all the while looking DOWN....may notice long lines...but even then it wont be too often.....people and dogs moving will scare most of the birds.........good luck.....bob

4. Big H2O Hunter

Big H2O Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I hunt clear water here in northern Michigan and use long lines. I have put 5 foot droppers and have had no problems with the ducks coming in. My long lines are white nylon and I would think that would flare most any duck, yet I have had no problems with it.

Just my $.02.

5. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

The longlines he was using are 1/4 inch white rope dyed light green. The bottom is a mix of sand and vegetation.

The lines really stuck out when you look at them, so it was probably just a combo of very little wind and movement in the layout boat.