Longtail 72" or 58" shaft?

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by noweil, May 9, 2005.

1. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Looking at buying a longtail mm wondering about the 58" shaft Crawfish model or a standard longshaft like a 72". Anyone with any experience shine a little light on this topic for me.

Thanks

2. LouBshoes

LouBshoes Senior Refuge Member

It all depends on your transom of your boat. If you have something like a 16to19" transom then you will want the shorter one if it is bigger then you want the longer one.

3. DVR

DVR Elite Refuge Member

the longer one will perform better as far a speed goes. the crawfish model would be better in tight timber or similar terrain.
    if you have a tall transom you need a shaft even longer (85") than the two sizes you mentioned.

4. Nab

Nab Banned

The 72in model will be better in most situations - will work fine even in the timber - I can't think of any place that I go in the trees that the shorter one would have made any difference - also if you have a tall transom and need a tall transom model GD makes one for the same price as the regular one.
    Also, most people want the 72in model so think about that also - it will easier to sell in the future if you want to upgrade or just get rid of it.

5. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

That is the knowledge I was looking for.